Fuzebox V2?

Moderator: adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tonyd

Fuzebox V2?

Post by tonyd »

I've just noticed that Fuzebox kit is now shown as V1. Does that mean we can expect a Fuzebox V2 soon :wink:

- Tony

adafruit

Re: Fuzebox V2?

Post by adafruit »

sadly there is a 'forced' redesign in the works because the SNES connectors are very hard to find. i will try to figure somethin' out :/

tonyd

Post by tonyd »

ladyada wrote:sadly there is a 'forced' redesign in the works because the SNES connectors are very hard to find. i will try to figure somethin' out :/
What are you planning to use to replace the SNES connectors? The supply of multitaps here in the UK seems to have dried up completely :( . I know Parallax stock the vertical NES connector but I prefer the horizontal SNES style.

I've been thinking about cutting the SNES/NES plugs off the joypads and replacing them with a 9-way D plug and use a 9-way D socket on my PCB. I was also thinking about making the 9-way pinout Atari / Commodore joystick compatible to get that real "oldskool" look and experience :D

Atari Pinout

Code: Select all

Pin Joystick 

1   Forward  
2   Back    
3   Left    
4   Right   
5   -       
6   Button 1
7   +5V *    
8   GND     
9   -

NES/SNES Pinout

+-----------------------------\
|(1) (2) (3) (4) | (5) (6) (7) |
+-----------------------------/

Pin Joypad
1   +5V
2   CLK
3   LATCH
4   DATA
5   N/C
6   N/C
7   GND
+5V and GND can from the SNES go straight to +5V and GND on the 9W D and the other signals connected as shown below:

Code: Select all

Pin Joystick   SNES

1   Forward    CLK
2   Back       LATCH
3   Left       DATA
4   Right      N/C
5   -          N/C
6   Button 1   N/C
7   +5V *      +5V 
8   GND        GND
9   -          N/C
- Tony

uze6666

Post by uze6666 »

I seriously think compatibility is important here. The Uzebox/Fuzebox community is small but growing and dividing it with incompatible inputs and forcing coders to supports multiple configurations could only hamper that growth.

The best solution I can see is using the often proposed twin 4021 shift registers. They are cheap, don't add much more complexity, could be optional for those with NES/SNES controller and would keep the design backward compatible. With a flag in the EEPROM the kernel could know we have a DB9 port with reduced button set and remap dynamically.

My $0.02...

-Uze

karlgg

Post by karlgg »

Considering your name is in the box, I think your opinion might be worth a penny or two more. :) Backwards compatability is a good thing, if you ask me.

If anything, I would probably go with something in a molex or such, a similar connector to what the NES had, but something that wouldn't be confused with something else. I love 9-pin D-Subs, but they have enough uses already. Making Nintendo controllers with Atari-looking (but incompatible) plugs sounds like heartache waiting to happen.

Unless you make V2 work with Atari joysticks. :)

karlgg

Post by karlgg »

Although, now that I think of it, there's always the old-school way of keeping you from plugging in the wrong thing... Make them male (plug) -female (socket), instead of female-male!

But I still vote for "find another one".

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i was thinking of just going with NES and keeping pads for SNES if someone finds them
what i should probably do is head over the the uzebox forums and see whats been discussed since then!

BikeHelmet

Post by BikeHelmet »

Hi,

I was just wondering if we could get some more info on what your plans are. I sent an email in, and was told me to post on the forums.

The SNES controller ports aren't available anymore? Will FuzeBox v2.0 have an upgraded processor, or be 100% the same except for the inputs?

Are there plans to somehow get/build more SNES ports, or are you leaning some other direction now?

Oh, and I think it should be called FuzeBox 1.1 if almost nothing is changing. :wink:

For a FuzeBox 2.0, maybe we can get an xmega with 16KB of S-RAM? :lol: The 256KB flash one is only a few dollars more than an ATmega644, on Mouser.com, so by the hundreds it seems like a nice cheap upgrade. Who knows - with 16KB and 32mhz, maybe uze6666 could get his video player running at a higher res?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we have a replacement for the SNES ports
i like the use of the DIP chip so we'll be sticking with that for now
the '1284 will eventually come out

phossil

Post by phossil »

Pretty awesome stuff, I think I'll pick one of these up this weekend.

Regarding the processor upgrade to 1284 will that be as easy as popping in a new chip?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yes...once the chip is released!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Fuzebox (discontinued)”