Place to learn some C ?

Moderator: adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TimScampi

Place to learn some C ?

Post by TimScampi »

Hi there :)
I wondered where I could learn proper C for use with Uzebox. I already have some programming experience (Borland Pascal, Python, a very tiny bit of C and C++ (Like I can show some text in a terminal and do some if...else) )
Any website or book you'd recommend ?

charliex

Re: Place to learn some C ?

Post by charliex »

There are a few C for pascal programmer books that'll quick start you into it, depending on how familiar you are with pascal will determine how useful they'll be though.

Steve Summit's notes, from the C FAQ, which you can buy as a book http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cclass/cclass.html . Once you're past all that, i'd go with "Expert C Programming / Deep C Secrets"

Hopefully the link will work, otherwise just look up Deep C Secrets
http://books.google.com/books?id=4vm2xK ... q=&f=false

TimScampi

Post by TimScampi »

Thanks :) That should be usefull :) Also found a PDF on the Uzebox forum => http://publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/
I am familiar with most of the procedural programming (Began BASIC on an Amiga 500 at 6, then Python at about 13-14 and C/C++ various times between 12 and now (I'm 18 :) ) but I never got around learning C or C++ past the if...else or while...
I do Borland Pascal since September (For my programming class) The other students are only to sequential programming (No conditions, no loops, just plain variable declaration and stuffs.) but I took some advance and can program some cool little programs, but am not that familiar with Pascal. I'm more with Python.

Well, that said, I'm left with the Uzebox emulator for now (Waiting for more Fuzeboxes to come so my Christmas self-presents can take the road to reach my house ^^) and am currently testing some stuff on it.

losinggeneration

Post by losinggeneration »

Bit late to the topic, but The C Programming Language, Second Edition is considered the de-facto standard for C books. I haven't personally read it (not to say that I don't want to) but from what I've heard it's quite good.

Honestly though, C is a pretty simplistic language when compared to something like Python (when you consider what's provided by C's standard vs Python which includes things like an XML parser, a logging library, and a lot more.) So, if you can't afford or don't want to spend the money on the book mentioned above, there's plenty of freely available tutorials, online books, etc on C. With prior experience with Python, C should be pretty easy to pick up.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Fuzebox (discontinued)”