Storing games?

Moderator: adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BillColeman

Storing games?

Post by BillColeman »

I'm thinking of buying the Fuzebox starter pack from you, when it comes back into stock.

Background: The bad part is that I have no experience at all with console games (too old by the time they were invented) and I have no experience building digital electronics. However, I do have about 35 years of experience with computer programming (including a PhD) and also I've previously built a pretty complicated Heathkit audio receiver kit. So I'm reasonably confident I could put the kit together and that I could program games with it.

My question is this. After building it, I wanted to let my 8-year-old grandson play with it. He'd probably love the games available on the Uzebox site.. However, the process for loading games into it seems much too complex for an 8-year old. So, question: Is it possible to leave several games loaded into it in a way that would allow him to switch between them with reasonable ease?

2nd question. I was planning to give him an old ('80s-vintage) Sony color TV that has composite video in. Am I correct in assuming that would work?

Thanks!
Bill

uze6666

Re: Storing games?

Post by uze6666 »

Hi Bill,

If you assembled a Heatkit, you should be fine with the Fuzebox, specially since the only surface mount part is already pre-soldered.
My question is this. After building it, I wanted to let my 8-year-old grandson play with it. He'd probably love the games available on the Uzebox site.. However, the process for loading games into it seems much too complex for an 8-year old. So, question: Is it possible to leave several games loaded into it in a way that would allow him to switch between them with reasonable ease?
Absolutely! You can flash on the device a special program called the Uzebox Gameloader. It allows games to be loaded and flashed directly from the SD card using a nice menu. See this thread on the Uzebox forums for more info.
2nd question. I was planning to give him an old ('80s-vintage) Sony color TV that has composite video in. Am I correct in assuming that would work?
All old analog TVs sets I've tested worked fine.

Hope that helped,

-Uze

BillColeman

Re: Storing games?

Post by BillColeman »

Uze,

Thanks. Yes, that's enormously helpful.

Best wishes,
Bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Fuzebox (discontinued)”