avrdude/FTDI upload problems...

Moderator: adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jleemero

Re: avrdude/FTDI upload problems...

Post by jleemero »

ladyada wrote:the ftdi cable is a bit faster too, actually.
i'm somewhat suspicious of the FTDI driver, since it doesnt seem like the cable 'works at all' under vista
do you recall which driver you downloaded?
Supports FT2232H, FT4232H, FT232R, FT245R, FT2232, FT232B, FT245B, FT8U232AM, FT8U245AM.
For Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.

Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've just tried avrdude on my Windows XP laptop which I've gotten back and I'm getting the same error that I get on my Vista desktop. Looks like the problem could be with the chip or the board?

jleemero

Post by jleemero »

Dan_K wrote:I've just tried avrdude on my Windows XP laptop which I've gotten back and I'm getting the same error that I get on my Vista desktop. Looks like the problem could be with the chip or the board?
I think that's more likely.

I'm getting a similar, though not "identical" error on my Linux laptop.

Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've ordered a couple more chips and I can connect to the new one. Looks like I somehow managed to bugger up my last one. At least I have one more spare though!

g7nbp

Post by g7nbp »

sorry about digging up an old thread, but thought it worth adding a comment as this is the spot most google searches point to.

I have the same issue with a brand new boarduino and ftdi ttl-232R-3v3 cable. I picked up both from the UK maker faire a couple of weeks back, but only just got round to populating the board. Ive tested on Linux, mac and PC.

The onboard ftdi chip in the cable is working as it is reported and offers a port on /dev/ttyUSB0 but when uploading avrdude times out and reports a missing programmer:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

scoping the pins shows TTL on the data lines. Linking txd to rxd (yellow to orange) and typing into the send box on the arduino serial monitor produces an echo of the sent chars, so based on the above tests I conclude the cable is fine.

Ive lifted one leg on the reset cap in case that was the issue with no change.

Im just checking the board for bad joints now, 30 years of soldering behind me, so by the law of averages I must be overdue for a dry joint by now, but with so few on the PCB it doesnt feel likely. Optically they all look good. The next test after that will be swapping the AVR to another arduino to check it progs ok in there. Currently I see the triple LED flash on reset, so have been assuming it to be OK.

I will report back later....

g7nbp

Post by g7nbp »

well I cant find any board faults, but swapping the avr doesnt fix it either.

to use a popular quotation "tests have been... inconclusive" :(

I shall pour another glass of merlot and contemplate.

g7nbp

Post by g7nbp »

Ok... Merlot helped a lot :)

Yes, it was the AVR. My previous checks were not thorough enough.

Its toast.

I must stop wearing nylon underpants and stroking the cat while building projects ;)

Seriously though, Im surprised. the kit was in a zerostat bag when bought, it only came out of the bag onto my equipotential mat and assembly followed normal(ish!) ESD routine... OK I wasnt wearing my wrist strap, but iron, mat and all assembly kit including the "helping hands" are equipot. This is the first one Ive smoked thru static. My real job has me handling stuff thats a) much more ESD sensitive and b) just a tad more expensive to replace. Its not usually a problem here. The Atmega series are usually all but bomb proof.

I shall chalk this one up to "one of those unexplained things"... and stop wearing nylon underpants... (the cat hides whenever Im building something now)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Fuzebox (discontinued)”