Ubuntu 8.10 compiling troubles...

Moderator: adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
flecko

Ubuntu 8.10 compiling troubles...

Post by flecko »

Greetings Fuzeboxers,

I just wanted to post a heads up to anyone that is trying to compile any of the fuzebox examples or even their own programs under Ubuntu 8.10.

I found that there is a bug in the binutils-avr package that means that the avr-size program doesn't recognize the -C option. The version of avr-size that comes with the default 8.10 supplied version of binutils-avr is outdated. If you get the newer Jaunty version of binutils-avr, there is another bug that strikes concerning the option -mmcu=atmega644.

So for now, if you're using Ubuntu(like I am) then you're out of luck for compiling programs for your Fuzebox. If anyone here knows of a workaround, I'm all ears, but I suppose I'll just have to use VirtualBox to install a VM of some other distro that ships the right versions.

Take care 'boxers!

adafruit

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 compiling troubles...

Post by adafruit »

whats the bug in the latest version that prevents coding for m644???

flecko

Post by flecko »

Well, as of yesterdays Jaunty binutils-avr, the error I'm seeing is that the assembler doesn't recognize the option -mmcu=atmega644

Code: Select all

flecko@flextop:~/fuzefirmware-v2b2/hello$ make
avr-gcc -I.. -mmcu=atmega644 -Wall -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99 -DF_CPU=28636360UL -Os -DVIDEO_MODE=1 -fsigned-char -MD -MP -MT hello.o -MF dep/hello.o.d  -c  hello.c
as: unrecognized option '-mmcu=atmega644'
make: *** [hello.o] Error 1
My download of Jaunty finished overnight, so I'm going to see if I can get anything going after I install it. I'll post back the details.

flecko

Post by flecko »

Good news!

As of todays latest Jaunty updates, everything seems to be working fine, so don't panic!

It looks like just 8.10 that has the troubles. I shouldn't have gotten cocky and mixed Jaunty packages with an 8.10 install. Besides, 9.04 will be out in a few months, so I would recommend running it under Virtualbox until then just because you never know what kind of stability an alpha has.

Good luck 'boxers!

nitrofurano

Post by nitrofurano »

as soon as having working Uzebox emulator and development tools, please help us making tarballs or binary .deb files, and share them with us! =)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Fuzebox (discontinued)”