Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

Use larger battery on Kaleidoscope goggles project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Use larger battery on Kaleidoscope goggles project

by toneevan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:01 am

Hi there

I'm still learning my way around, l'm in the process of building the Kaleidoscope Neopixel goggles with bluetooth control. heres the link to the project page: https://learn.adafruit.com/kaleidoscope ... nket-gemma

However the details of the project only mention a 150mAh or a 500mAh battery.

For these goggles l'm building, l want them to last longer so can l add a 2000Ah battery instead? If so, then do l need to make any changes to the wiring or the neopixel coding?

Also how do l change the neopixels from the rotating lights function to just a still light function that doesn't move around? l appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you

toneevan

Re: Use larger battery on Kaleidoscope goggles project

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:07 am

A larger LiPo batter would not require any changes to the wiring or the code.

To stop the "spinny wheels" from spinning, you can comment out this line:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
offset++;

adafruit_support_bill

by dartfrog01 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:32 pm

for what its worth, This past weekend I wore a set of these googles to an event with the stock adafruit rainbow/ecto sketch with brightness = 85. At this brightness level a new 500mAh battery ran the display all night, ie at least 8 hours, and no less than 12 when I bench tested it. After dark you could probably lower the brightness some more, for extra run time.
I've not worked a run time out for the goggles including the bluetooth LE module yet but plan to figure it out in the next few days. I need to complete the modular set-up I have in mind in case I don't want bluetooth control for some reason (power restrictions, interference,...).
My guess is that run time is highly dependent on how much the bluetooth control is used?

dartfrog01

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:54 am

Bluetooth LE is fairly low-power. But it will still have an impact on battery life. Transmit takes more power than receive, so if the goggles are only receiving it should not be too bad.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.