XBees appear to only communicate one way

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Franklin97355

Re: XBees appear to only communicate one way

Post by Franklin97355 »

Your FTDI cable will show up as an FTDI device if you have the correct drivers installed so you may have to reinstall the FTDI drivers.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

That is seriously weird. Don't have windows in front of me right now, but I think you can go into the device properties and manually assign a COM port number

heychuck

Post by heychuck »

So I downloaded driver setup executables here and here, then ran them, but there was no change.

I went to my device manager and saw that the USB-FTDI adapter had an alert on it. Going to device properties opens up the following:
screenshot of the properties window of the usb-ftdi adapter
screenshot of the properties window of the usb-ftdi adapter
usb-ftdi_properties.png (50.67 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
If I use the context menu to update the drivers for the device, the dialogue tells me that I have the most up to date drivers for it, so I'm not sure why I'm getting that error message.

Anyways, I was able to change the COM port in the advanced port settings in the properties dialogue and testing is going well. I don't think I'm far from figuring it out. Thanks for all your help and patience so far!

heychuck

Post by heychuck »

Issue resolved! I think...

I've been able to send commands to the Uno wirelessly from the USB-FTDI connected XBee using my GUI as before. I don't know what the original issue was before, but since first encountering issues I've noticed problems with loose circuit connections. I'm connecting the motor to the breadboard through some jumper wires that don't have the best electrical contact with the motor leads and sometimes I have to squeeze it for the motor to spin.

What's weird to me is that sending/receiving serial data wirelessly doesn't cause the RX/TX LEDs to flash. It's possible this was always the case and I never noticed until trying to figure out why it wasn't working. When using the USB cable, serial communication causes those LEDs to blink. I suppose they're somewhat redundant with the red LED on the adapter kit?

Anyways, I think this is pretty much resolved. I haven't been able to test this on the Micro, but I'll likely be able to figure it out from here if there are any problems.

Thanks for all the help!

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Great! Good luck!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”