XBee and Zigbee together?

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gte619n

XBee and Zigbee together?

Post by gte619n »

Hey guys!

I just went through all the XBee and Tweetawatt information and WOW! HOW COOL! I have a few beginner XBee/Zigbee questions that I couldn't find the answer to in the archives and I was hoping someone could shed some light on it for me. I'm a EE but my experience is mostly in software design. I've done a few electronics projects, but nothing to more complex than the solder-by-numbers type of kits.

I've seen the point-to-point connection mode with the Xbee in the tweetawatt stuff. Reading through the Zigbee modes, I'm interested in the mesh network stuff. Are the XBee modules compaible with that? Could I get a pair of XBee modules and a random Zigbee light switch and have them all communcate and behave? Are there any docs around that can speak to the XBee/Zigbee Mesh configuraiton and setup?

Thanks!

Evan

adafruit

Re: XBee and Zigbee together?

Post by adafruit »

you could, but its kind of a pain to configure and run and power usage is higher for mesh

gte619n

Post by gte619n »

Is there another solution I should take a look at? I'd like to be able to use available, off the shelf components to control lights and such, but also have some custom components to do various things.

Thanks!

E

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

<shrug> whatever zigbee modules you get, they'll be equally difficult in setting up

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”