Checking for working XBee on Serial

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jgarbers

Checking for working XBee on Serial

Post by jgarbers »

I'd like my code to be able to verify that my XBee module is properly connected and working, and take some action (like blink an LED) if something is wrong with it. I'm currently using the XBee connected to the hardware Serial1 port on an Arduino MEGA. Is there some way, other than waiting for some inbound message (which may not be for a while in my application) to confirm that the XBee is up and running?

Franklin97355

Re: Checking for working XBee on Serial

Post by Franklin97355 »

Which module are you using and have you tried using any of the handshaking lines?

jgarbers

Post by jgarbers »

Thanks for the help! I'm pretty sure it's a series 3 XBee with the PCB antenna. I don't think the handshaking lines are currently connected. Could you suggest a reference on (1) what pins on the XBee I would need to connect, and (2) how I would detect the XBee by reading or manipulating those pins?

oliviasmithh900

Post by oliviasmithh900 »

Currently you are doing simple serial communication with TX & RX pins, for complete handshaking you have to use all 9 pins of Serial Port, although in case of XBee 5 to 6. You need to read the datasheet or search on google, you will find many projects having proper handshake.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”