Adapter Issues

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jengil

Adapter Issues

Post by jengil »

After assembling the Adafruit XBee adapter and powering up from an Arduino uno via breadboard (along with attaching Tx, Rx, and GND pins) - I haven't been able to get the lights to light up and don't have an FTDI cable to go about testing in that route. I checked the solder connections many times and they seem good and the power regulator on the adapter seems to warm up indicating its getting power, but I'm not sure what could be wrong. Any insight or troubleshooting info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Franklin97355

Re: Adapter Issues

Post by Franklin97355 »

Usually the first thing asked for is large, clear pictures of both sides of the board. Seems to me there was an intermediate step where you tested the board to see if the power section was working, if so did it work? Also are you sure you have all the parts in the right way around?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Usually the first thing asked for is large, clear pictures of both sides of the board
Yes. Photos of both sides of the board and one showing your connections to the Arduino also.

jengil

Post by jengil »

I am adding links for the photos I've taken, I tried reflowing some of the solder joints and tested the LED's they seem to be working fine, I dont have a capacitance tester to test these capacitors, but haven't done anything other than hook them up to the arduino. If there are any intermediate tests I would love to know how to perform them as well as any advice.

http://postimg.org/image/3rijmka25/ Back

http://postimg.org/image/mt8qwz5rh/ Front

http://postimg.org/image/3mvjtsp9p/ Connection w/ Arduino

Thanks for any help or tips. Much appreciated.

adafruit_support_bill

There are quite a few joints where the solder has not wetted the pad. You need to heat the pad too so that the solder will flow well and create a good electrical bond. See this tutorial for tips on identifying and fixing those: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

Also, Did you check the voltage from the 3.3v voltage regulator to make sure that is working?

jengil

Post by jengil »

Thank you - I am re-soldering/fixing what issues i can find now. What is the best way to check the regulator? I will re-post a photo in a few minutes when i finish soldering.

adafruit_support_bill

What is the best way to check the regulator?
When powered from your FTDI cable, you should measure 3.3v between the "GND" and "3V" pins.

jengil

Post by jengil »

Here's post soldering - this closer image seems to make it easier to see - that guide you posted was helpful as well. I think they are all pretty good now. Unfortunately I am still waiting on the FTDI cable so I cannot test it that way -is there another method of testing you recommend? . Did my initial wiring to/from the Arduino look correct? I will be trying that shortly. Thank you.

http://postimg.org/image/xxljf36ct/
Last edited by jengil on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Yes, your arduino connections look correct. What is the voltage between GND and 3V when powered from the Arduino 5v?

jengil

Post by jengil »

Approximately 0.87 V is what I am reading, I assume this mean the regulator is not working properly? If so what should I do? Also - when the XBee is not connected both the green and red LED's light properly when tested with a multimeter. When the XBee is connected the green LED won't light and the red LED barely lights (very dimly). I am not quite sure if this is indicative of any particular problem.
Last edited by jengil on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can send a replacement voltage regulator.

jengil

Post by jengil »

Thanks for the prompt support I will contact them now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”