Using XBee in dense urban areas

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CaseyScalf

Using XBee in dense urban areas

Post by CaseyScalf »

I am looking to use the XBee for wireless communication between art projects at a large music festival. I just need to send the values of a few faders and buttons. I have notoriously had trouble using my iPad to connect with my Mac over an "ad-hoc network" just a few feet away because of the extremely dense networks and communications taking place - both wifi and cellular.

I want to know if this product may be vulnerable to the same woes? I read it usually uses a 2.4Ghz frequency (which is the same my ad-hoc wifi used) so I am worried it will be troubled just the same.

I only need to transmit 1 city block. So it sounds like I may need the pro version. I just need to know if it will suffer interference.

Thanks for any insight! I am open to other ideas for transmission if this looks like it won't work.

Franklin97355

Re: Using XBee in dense urban areas

Post by Franklin97355 »

Digi has 900 mhz solutions you might consider as an alternative.

CaseyScalf

Post by CaseyScalf »

I have seen those. But 900 is also a frequency used by cell phones so I'd like to avoid that section of the spectrum is possible.

Are there any other frequencies available?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you want to use xbee's check the Digi site for more info on devices and their capabilities. http://www.digi.com

CaseyScalf

Post by CaseyScalf »

I was hoping since you sell them and I was going to buy them from you that you might provide a little more assistance?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Since your requirements for use are so far out of the norm we have no experience with that type of use. That is why I recommended Digi. If you have questions about the hardware and how to use it we may be of help.

CaseyScalf

Post by CaseyScalf »

Okay thanks, I'll try around.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”