Great Kit!!
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Great Kit!!

by bartgrefte on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:09 am

jvdb wrote:
bartgrefte wrote:Can you do that with every clock-kit? (Like the Ice Tube?)

You would first have to figure out where to connect the GPS receiver. The Tubehobby clocks only use 3 pins on the Mini-DIN connector.

Then you would have to write the firmware to support it. You could probably steal most of the code from another project like this:

http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClock.htm

Okay.

adafruit wrote:we'll have a how-to on gpsifying the tube clock shortly. unfortunately we're out of gps modules :D

:o Yay! :D

Would it be the same as the nixie clocks or different?

bartgrefte

by j00lz on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:03 am

Another clock is ticking here!

The kit was a breeze to put together, thanks to the very detailed instructions. Heaps easier than the x0xb0x, but not as much fun to play with :lol:

Is there anyway I could modify the frequency of the alarm sound? I find that it is quite high pitched and too regular, which means I can easily incorporate it in my dreams - and sleep through it :shock:

j00lz

by adafruit on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:16 am

adafruit wrote:we'll have a how-to on gpsifying the tube clock shortly. unfortunately we're out of gps modules :D

:o Yay! :D

Would it be the same as the nixie clocks or different?[/quote]

not sure, we dont have one. one will have to update the firmware but we'll try to make it easy

adafruit

by adafruit on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:17 am

Is there anyway I could modify the frequency of the alarm sound? I find that it is quite high pitched and too regular, which means I can easily incorporate it in my dreams - and sleep through it :shock:

very easy! if you start a new thread, we can help you out

adafruit

by bartgrefte on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:07 pm

adafruit wrote:not sure, we dont have one. one will have to update the firmware but we'll try to make it easy

Okay.
But you will keep us updated about the GPS thing? ;)

bartgrefte

by len17 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:33 pm

It's taken a while (I've been sick) but I finally have my Ice Tube working the way I want.
Note the photocell for the auto-brightness mod.

len17

by bartgrefte on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:36 pm

bartgrefte wrote:Btw, here's a pic of mine:
Worked at once, even though it's been a while since I did some soldering :P

Haven't made the others yet, so I'll show those later.
And damn, those adapters for the AC adapter are way more expensive over here than in the US, €5,99/$9 vs $1...

Done :)
The 2nd one isn't working since the output voltage of the 2nd battery was just a little bit too low. It worked though, but the displays didn't turn on.
Both work with the adapter from the Ice Tube Clock, same connector and required voltage, so I'll order 2 of those and use the batteries for powerfailures.
Last edited by bartgrefte on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

bartgrefte

by yffic99 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:34 am

I have finished mine yesterday evening.
A perfect kit.

During the mounting of the tube on the round pcb I've broken one of the wires of the tube (bt it was my fault).
I've buy one other on ebay and finally I've very happy with my new clock.

Yves
yffic99

by joerg_daehn on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:49 pm

I finished, too. Had to order a second PCB an replace some components because I f***ed up on the first try but now I am good at soldering and unsoldering ;-))

Thanks to all!

Joerg Daehn, Hannover, Germany

Picture below shows icetube and Braun Visotronic DN50 from the 80ies.
Icetube_clock_JD.JPG
Icetube_clock_JD.JPG (143.42 KiB) Viewed 6088 times

joerg_daehn

by joerg_daehn on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:14 pm

OT: Oh well, here is one thing I didn't yet know about the DN 50: it's in the MoMA

http://www.moma.org/collection/artist.p ... st_id=3573

Joerg

joerg_daehn

by Eggplant! on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Just completed. Worked first time, no issues, and I'm quite a novice at soldering. Fantastic kit! Everything fit together beautifully, and the instructions were clear. I especially appreciate the mid-build tests.

And now, to mod!

Eggplant!

by Troubadix on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:51 am

The clock and the USBTinyISP arrived yesterday, very well packed.
Unfortunately the guys at customs attached a little greeting, in form of a 11.84€ bill. Image
Both kits went together nicely, everything worked first try. Image
Especially the clock is indeed a great kit and was definitely worth the wait. I appreciate the tests during the built. Image
Oh, and I flashed Len17's version of the auto-dimmer mod onto the clock and already got two "Can you build one for me, too?"-requests. Guess I'm going to place another order, soon. First I'll play with the firmware, a little bit...

Now here's a picture.
itc.jpg
itc.jpg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
Troubadix

by adafruit on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:56 pm

beautiful work! its great to see the many many successful builds

adafruit

by evil4dmin on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:56 am

full ack! great kit! finished mine already last week in less than two hours! found no small LDR that night so i just added a "fischer-technik" LDR as a temporary and external dimmer hack... :D

cheers
evil4dmin
Attachments
evil4dmin_ice2.jpg
evil4dmin_ice2.jpg (323.58 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
evil4dmin_ice3.jpg
evil4dmin_ice3.jpg (298.5 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
evil4dmin_ice4.jpg
evil4dmin_ice4.jpg (302.56 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
evil4dmin

by cablemonkey on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi!

I had the same comments about the cap installation sequence. Also, the diode used to protect the battery - it's too big for the board. A small signal diode would probably fit in there, as current is not really an issue. I know it means adding another part to the BOM, but this is a hobby kit, not a high volume production unit.

In mine, i had the non-three-NC-pin tube. I had to take care when I was installing it that the nipple on the end would reach to the hole in the enclosure. As to the enclosure, it was tight. I mean really tight. I had to use my vice to squeeze the sides on to the bottom. The screws were completely redundant with the amount of interference in fit of the acrylic pieces. A few microns up on the holes and down on the pins would make assembly a bit easier.

I put too much solder on the battery contact pad - it was a tight fit getting the battery in there.

The instructions lasered into the bottom plate are largely unreadable.

There are some small typos on the use it page, specifically the part about setting 12 and 24 hr time.

Apart from these minor issues, the rest of the kit went together well and it fired right up.

Thanks Limor, this is going to look great on my desk.
cablemonkey

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.