a digital led ring clock help
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

a digital led ring clock help

by oflander on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:15 pm

I haven't done electronics or programming in over 30 year, but I want to build a special LED clock. I have neopixel 60-1/4 rings and led matricies and arduino uno and mega2560s. My plan was to have a seconds ring, a minute and hour ring, 12 hour off ring markers, 3 simulated pendalums, a 8x24 traveling message marquee, and a hour glass display. Every 15 minute it would give a 5-10 second light show. the rings are 120 leds, the pendalums are 24 leds,the hourglass is 60 leds and the marque is 128 leds, plus 12 hour markers.
My problem is this, I can't get my head around the code. I've gone thru 3 notebooks, I've tried 'for loops','If' statments, 'subroutines'. -ETC. I cant seem to get from -sec to min, back to secs, back to min and then to hours and back to secs-, and to figure in my 15 minute show. I'm 70 and never backed down from a challenge, I've been all over the web. I've got rtcs, 74hc595's, a 5v-5a power supply plus more. Can someone help with some arduino code to get me over the hump. I think I have forgotten more than I ever learned.

oflander

Re: a digital led ring clock help

by kcl1s on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 am

Well your project has a lot going on. When you want to do multitasking like that the code gets more complex. You can no longer use delay() in your code because you have other things to do while waiting. Adafruit has a good set of guides on multitasking with Arduino https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=multitasking&

My advice is to break the code down into smaller chunks and see if you can get that part working then move on to the next. If you have trouble with the code you come up with, post it here between code tags using the button above the forum edit window. We can help with code questions but you have to give us something to start with.

A fellow hobbyist
Keith

kcl1s

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.