TimeSquare isn't, sadly, keeping time
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

TimeSquare isn't, sadly, keeping time

by reidmt on Mon May 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Firstly, I just wanted to tell you what a great kit this is. I don’t have a background in electronics but, in order to keep up with my now seven year old, we decided to make this a project for his birthday. Almost everything came out smoothly, including learning how—and teaching my son—how to solder. He was very proud of the two of us, and can’t wait for the next project.

Unfortunately, the watch doesn’t keep time. I can set the watch and cycle through the modes, but the time isn’t advancing: when I set the time and get through the am/pm screen, it flashes and sends me back to the year.

I am attaching a couple of pictures, both mid-build and post-build. I’m very proud of my kid’s work; he did almost all of the soldering. Hope you guys can point me in the right direction!

Regardless of the outcome, we had a really fun time. It was much more fun than just soldering resisters on a circuit board, which is what we did for practice prior to making this happen.

Solder.jpg
Solder.jpg (356.04 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

Board.jpg
Board.jpg (480.04 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

Closer.jpg
Closer.jpg (252.51 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

Thank you in advance for any help!

RKK

reidmt

Re: TimeSquare isn't, sadly, keeping time

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon May 15, 2017 8:45 am

The soldering looks excellent. I don't see any problems there. If everything else is functioning properly, I would suspect a problem with the crystal. There is no visible indication of overheating. I can't see the leads in the photos, check to make sure there is no visible short or solder bridge there.

adafruit_support_bill

by reidmt on Mon May 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks for the comments! I am going to check the crystal to see if there is a short or a solder bridge on the other side. I'm worried that, if one isn't there, it may have been damaged when it was folded down. The LED matrix is REALLY HARD to de-solder. It's taking some time. If you have any hints, I'd appreciate them, though I'm worried I might cause additional damage to some of the parts.

My son did most of the soldering although I helped by placing the parts. He had a great time.

E Solder.jpg
E Solder.jpg (292.55 KiB) Viewed 1368 times

As you can see, he had some robot supervision. You can also see his practice project, which helped.

Supervision.jpg
Supervision.jpg (290.41 KiB) Viewed 1368 times

reidmt

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon May 15, 2017 2:26 pm

It is not too common, but it is also possible for a crystal to be damaged by shock, such as dropping on the floor.

De-soldering multi-pin parts is really difficult. It helps to have a solder-sucker, some solder wick, and (most importantly) a lot of patience. It can be tempting to force things, but that usually just results in lifted traces. If you run into trouble, post here and we'll get you through it.

adafruit_support_bill

by reidmt on Tue May 16, 2017 10:16 pm

I've been working on trying to remove the LED panel from the board but am having very little luck. The pump and the wick were good for removing most of the solder, but the panel remains stuck. Neither side is budging. Getting the wick down in there is a really tight squeeze.

It looks like some of the rings for the solder joints are starting to fail, but the LED is stuck on there pretty well, still.

Any additional hints would be appreciated.

Desolder Ep 1.jpg
Desolder Ep 1.jpg (224.21 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

Desolder 2.jpg
Desolder 2.jpg (290.35 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

Desolder 3.jpg
Desolder 3.jpg (268.16 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

reidmt

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 am

It is tricky enough on a regular board, but the TimeSquare makes it even more difficult with components on both sides of the board. Let's assume that it was a bad crystal, so we'll replace the kit. Please contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and we can send a replacement.

adafruit_support_bill

by reidmt on Wed May 17, 2017 2:38 pm

I really appreciate it. We have some new tools that, hopefully, will make everything easier.

Looking forward to more projects in the future!

reidmt

by reidmt on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:44 am

Thank you so much for all of your help. The replacement kit arrived and, although the soldering is--for some reason--less pretty, the kit works like a charm. Seeing the seconds tick by in binary is much cooler now that I know how to read it. My son and I split the soldering duties (especially the LED matrix, which was tricky), and we got it done!

reidmt

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:17 am

Excellent! Thanks for the follow-up.

adafruit_support_bill

by Cybr on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Okay, please explain how to read the timesquare binary on the watch... Is this one horizontal, how's it sectioned? Well you know thanks!

Cybr

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:47 am

It is horizontal. There are four 2x2 'bits' across the top which represent the hour (1-12)

Then there is a row of 1 pixel 'bits' across the middle for the minutes (00-59)
The three pixels on the left are for the first digit. The 4 pixels on the right are for the second digit. There is one blank pixel in between.

On the bottom are two more rows of 1 pixel bits for the seconds (00-59)
The pixels for the seconds are arranged the same as for the minutes.

https://learn.adafruit.com/timesquare-w ... des#step-4

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.