Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Ice Tube Clock v1.1
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ice Tube Clock v1.1

by brain_recall on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:51 pm

I noticed today that the Ice Tube Clock was updated, with this note at the bottom:

**Note: We made changes to the kit parts list which improved reliability but unfortunately increased the number of parts and also materials cost. For people who have already ordered, the price is the same, but for future orders we have to increase the price of the kit ($65 to $70).

I ordered the kit before they were sold out. Will I be getting a v1.0 kit or a v1.1 kit?

Also, will we find out what changes were made? The EE inside me is curious :)
brain_recall

Re: Ice Tube Clock v1.1

by bastard on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:09 am

Hi from Germany,

how much amps does the clock need? Is it possible to drive it from an USB port? Should one use the power connector or would it better to go in after the regulator?

by

Stefan
bastard

by Totoro on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Me too!
Can't wait to get the kit. What should I also get in the mean time to make a "1.1" version?

brain_recall wrote:I noticed today that the Ice Tube Clock was updated, with this note at the bottom:

**Note: We made changes to the kit parts list which improved reliability but unfortunately increased the number of parts and also materials cost. For people who have already ordered, the price is the same, but for future orders we have to increase the price of the kit ($65 to $70).

I ordered the kit before they were sold out. Will I be getting a v1.0 kit or a v1.1 kit?

Also, will we find out what changes were made? The EE inside me is curious :)
Totoro

by adafruit on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:54 pm

all kits shipped will be v1.1 we have lots of tubes and are waiting for the revised PCBs which will be here shortly

adafruit

by brain_recall on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:27 am

ladyada wrote:all kits shipped will be v1.1 we have lots of tubes and are waiting for the revised PCBs which will be here shortly

Awesome to hear. Thanks!
brain_recall

by westcoaststeve on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Sounds Good - thanks for the update ladyada.

westcoaststeve

by bastard on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:47 am

Hi,

maybe my questions are too hard to answer ...

bastard wrote:how much amps does the clock need? Is it possible to drive it from an USB port? Should one use the power connector or would it better to go in after the regulator?

then I have to try it myself.

Bye,

Stefan
bastard

by adafruit on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:37 pm

you -could- try running it from a usb port but it would require hacking. check the schematic for how power is distributed thru the kit there are 2 supplies

adafruit

by bastard on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:08 am

Hi,

there are changes in the pcb to v1.1 - but here are no explanations what was changed. I guess the PTC is the new item.
Why don't you tell us about that?

/. readers know more as the forum readers here.

And again, don't you know how many amps the clock needs?

Bye

Stefan
bastard

by adafruit on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:12 pm

a few things were changed including a polyfuse, a resistor and a zener diode. the documentation hasnt been updated, but when it is you can read all about them!

running it off USB isnt an issue of amps, the reason you can't easily run it off USB is due to the boost converter running off of the 9V line not the 5V line, which you can see if you examine the schematics on the website

if you check the parts list http://www.ladyada.net/make/icetube/parts.html you can easily deduce what the current draw is (hint: its the less than the fuse rating!) If you're still not sure, its about 200mA ;)

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.