Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

RASTTFTD clock
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

RASTTFTD clock

by chankster on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:43 pm

I was really excited when I saw the icetube kit on the saturday engineer chat but I was even more excited when I saw the pictures for the RASTTFTD clock kit posted on Flickr. Any idea when this kit will be available?

ImageImage
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?

chankster

Re: RASTTFTD clock

by bastard on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:55 am

Hi all,

Limor - do you know "The Cathedral and the Bazaar"? [1] It's about open source software, but it's suitable to open source hardware too.

There's one point what you could do prior to release that clock as a kit:

7. Release early. Release often. And listen to your customers.

The delay in shipping the ice tube clock is a good example. The comments at /. has shown you a problem in the circuit. So you changed and ordered new PCBs. Also it gave me an answer that it's not possible to hack the clock to drive it with a radio time receiver (DCF77 in Germany). By now I investigate to put the "The Tuxgraphics AVR NTP clock" [2] as time source in front of the ice tube clock.

It would be very nice if there is the possibility to have such time sources for the RASTTFTD clock as well.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar
[2] http://tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200710/avr-ntp-clock.shtml

Bye

Stefan
bastard

by adafruit on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:02 pm

hi "bastard" - thanks for the continued interest in the kit - we're currently working on the documentation and once that's posted we'll put a note up here, we think most of the questions you have will be answered.

lastly, once the kit is in the hands of many people we will likely see a lot of unexpected hacks and mods, we'll do our best to post those up on the blog and in the forums.

-thanks,
adafruit

adafruit

by adafruit on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Chankster wrote:I was really excited when I saw the icetube kit on the saturday engineer chat but I was even more excited when I saw the pictures for the RASTTFTD clock kit posted on Flickr. Any idea when this kit will be available?

hi "chankster", its currently being hacked on. & will be ready in a few short weeks!

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.