Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Question about the Ice Tube clock
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Question about the Ice Tube clock

by aballen on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:12 am

I have scratch built circuits for my son in the past(about to turn 7). When I do he says I'm a genius. I can't describe the feeling when your kid tells you that and he actually believes it. He will find the truth out soon enough ;)

I understand the dangers of high voltages. I want to put this kit together for my son, who knows how to tell time... but is finally understanding it, and what it really means.... of course he will be blown away by it. It just looks awesome and its obvious I made it.... "cause you can see all the parts"

I just wanted to get some opinions. I think that once it is encased, as long as it is not tampered with, it is safe.

Anyone disagree?

aballen

Re: Question about the Ice Tube clock

by mike31416 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:29 am

I would think it is safe as long as he does not try to take it apart (don't be surprised if he does as he becomes more like you ;)

Mike

mike31416

by adafruit on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:48 am

as long as the box is shut there is no way to touch any of the electronics. Its actually not any more dangerous than any 'desk alarm clock' that plugs in once it is assembled. (perhaps even less since its a low-capacity boost converter instead of straight wall power which will pump as much current as possible into you!)
Just make sure he doesnt open the case or drop it in the tub with him in it.
You can glue the case shut with superglue at the edges. it'll make it impossible to open without essentially smashing the case.

adafruit

by aballen on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks, that is what I thought. I'll probably talk to him about being extra careful with it, and not opening it etc just to be on the safe side.

aballen

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.