Clock is working, but I have a few problems

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
attentiondotnet

Clock is working, but I have a few problems

Post by attentiondotnet »

I finished assembling the clock. It is a great kit, the case is really nice. Are the case pieces made on the laser cutter in house, or are they BANNED?

I do seem to have two problems. First, I can power up the clock, and it will work correctly, time is displayed, seconds advancing, but then it will beep, the display will go off, and then come back on, but now the time will start flashing on and off every two seconds. It will continue like this for what seems to be a random time, then beep again and restart the process.

The other problem is that I cannot change the brightness. I press the menu button until I get to 'set brite', then I press the set key, and it displays the current value, but when I press the + key the display goes off and the clock resets, while the brightness remains at the same level.

I have gone through the assembly instructions and checked for anything obvious, like bridged connections, caps or diodes in backwards, etc. but everything looks ok. Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

caitsith2

Re: Clock is working, but I have a few problems

Post by caitsith2 »

Post a picture of the board, both sides, as clear as possible.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

it sounds like the WDT is kicking in and resetting it. does it loop like this forever or just once in a while? what power supply are you using?

attentiondotnet

It is pretty consistent, the times seem random, sometimes a few seconds, and I think the longest time is around 45 seconds. I am using the power supply that came with the kit.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

posting a photo will help in case its a mixup part (which it could be!)

attentiondotnet

Found my goof up. I was completely missing the C10 cap. It was stuck under something in the box and I was looking so hard for something wrong that I missed that it wasn't there. I put it in and everything is working great. Thanks for your help!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

that would do it! we thought it was something in that area which would cause it to reset. good to see it was fixed!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”