Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Issue with Ice Clock
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Issue with Ice Clock

by Knightmare on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:57 pm

I just received my kit today and took several hours putting it all together and making sure everything was soldered correctly. I tested out the various voltages throughout the process and everything looked great. Once I got it all together and plugged it in, it fired right up and, once the brightness was adjusted, looks nice and bright. However, there seem to be some problems with the display and I'm wondering if this is an issue with the tube or with something else. Here's what is happening.

The 4th and 6th characters seem to display the same thing all the time. In the last pic, you can see it displaying the stuff from both the 4th and 6th character in both digits.

Any idea what might cause this? I checked and double checked all my solders and I don't see anything crossed or odd. I've soldered much more complex things than this without any problem in the past. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Holloway
Tx/Rx Labs
Knightmare

Re: Issue with Ice Clock

by adafruit on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:57 am

hmm it -seems- like a short between two digits. you can see on the design doc http://www.ladyada.net/make/icetube/design.html that those pins are next to each other on the header
you could post nice clear photos of your header and/or use a multimeter to look for a short either on the PCB or in the tube

adafruit

by Knightmare on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:24 am

You are absolutely right! Sorry for the bad pic, but here's the culprit. somehow I got a short between two pins on the other side of the board.

Thanks much for your help :)
Chris Holloway
Tx/Rx Labs
Knightmare

by adafruit on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:41 am

thats a nice photo! and clearly showing the problem. great to hear you debugged it successfully, a flick of the iron will get rid of it :)

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.