Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

ITC Stuck at "10 00 ", works otherwise
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ITC Stuck at "10 00 ", works otherwise

by vitaminmoo on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:00 am

Howdy -

I just got my kit put together - Definitely a win as far as kits go, with excellent instructions and very high quality.

I'm having an issue, though - The kit is together, and definitely works - I can set the time and date, it stores both, I can hit menu and get the day + month, however in "normal mode", the clock just displays "10 00 ". Not even "10 00 00", the last two digits are blank.

I'm kind of at a loss to explain what could cause this - The display is working very well, as all digits function normally in menus, it just doesn't seem to display right during the idle routine.

I can get some macro shots of all relevant bits of the board if the symptoms don't reveal a likely cause of the issue.

vitaminmoo

Re: ITC Stuck at "10 00 ", works otherwise

by vitaminmoo on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:05 am

Slightly more info - It seems that the "10 00 " is coming from the set alarm screen when I hit the menu button - If I power cycle the clock, the display stays dark. If I then hit the set button to get the date displayed, it displays the weekday, then month + day of month, leaving the latter (in this case "sept 16") on the display. It's like the code that updates the clock isn't working for some reason.

*confusion*

vitaminmoo

by mike31416 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:07 am

Just a shot in the dark and I don't know much about the chip yet...

There are two timer interrupts that deal with the display. One updates the display (seems ok since menus work) and the other increments the seconds, minutes, hours, day and year. I think these software interrupts may be shared with hardware interrupt pins on the ATmega chip??? Maybe there is a solder problem near the chip pins??? Look for bad solder joints and solder bridges.

Mike

mike31416

by vitaminmoo on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:37 am

Seems logical.

There aren't any visible bridges on the underside of the chip pins or anything near it - Later tonight I'll check continuity of adjacent pins and wick the hell out of anything that beeps.

Thanks for the input!

vitaminmoo

by adafruit on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:20 pm

your crystal may not be in correctly

adafruit

by vitaminmoo on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:25 am

Hooray! The crystal was in correctly, and all the solder joints on the crystal, caps and appropriate pins were great.. Would have been perfect other than my having put the caps in the wrong way - That is, one was in parallel with the crystal, one was doing a great job of connecting ground to itself.

Good call!

I chipped the coating of one of the caps taking it out, and given their importance regarding timekeeping, I'll probably get replacements for them ordered and in.

The only behavior left that I would consider "weird" is that at brightness level 90, the display is only on every other second - It's off 50% of the time and only displays even seconds. If this is normal (save display life?), it might be a good idea to throw a note in the "setting display brightness" section. This behavior does not exhibit itself at brightness 85 and below.

Thanks!

vitaminmoo

by adafruit on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:22 pm

thats because you havent set the time

adafruit

by vitaminmoo on Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:31 pm

The time that it's blinking is correct, though (and I didn't finish it at exactly 12:00:00).

Edit: If I unplug wall power, then plug it back in, the clock goes "blinky", but keeps the right time. If I go into the time setting menu and exit without making any changes, everything seems normal.

vitaminmoo

by adafruit on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:38 pm

yes, when power is lost, it still alerts you by blinking. you can just go to the set time menu and quit and it will reset (you have to tell it that the time is 'ok')

adafruit

by vitaminmoo on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Makes total sense, but you might add a note in the usage section.

Thanks!

vitaminmoo

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.