Clock Kit worked but now don't work...
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Clock Kit worked but now don't work...

by tlavite on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:53 pm

The tube is wrapped up and put away. Also how do I get the display driver out? It seems very hard to get out of that socket. I have been taking the pictures with. 530 dollar Nikon DSLR everytime it's uploaded on this forum it won't take the full picture it makes me compress it before it will upload.
tlavite

by adafruit on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:40 pm

you can use a very fine point screwdriver and wedge into the corner, do it on opposite corners and the chip will pop out
to upload clearer photos, try imagebucket.us or flickr.com
(although people have uploaded huge photos to the forum without a problem so its not clear why your pix are being compressed horribly :( )

adafruit

by tlavite on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:03 pm

adafruit wrote:you can use a very fine point screwdriver and wedge into the corner, do it on opposite corners and the chip will pop out
to upload clearer photos, try imagebucket.us or flickr.com
(although people have uploaded huge photos to the forum without a problem so its not clear why your pix are being compressed horribly :( )

I will do as you said tonight... most of the pics from my camera are almost 3-5MB in size idk if that is why they get denied or not... but i will post a nice big one to flicker or photo bucket or imagebucket tonight.
tlavite

by tlavite on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:36 pm

Okay so i am currently uploading a bunch of pictures of the board with the buttons, switch, diode, and battery holder removed, plus the Microcontroller and the Display Driver removed.

I placed the Microcontroller back in and plugged it in and sure enough it beeped it came on... but when i insert the display driver it shorts out... did the display driver go bad????

A link to a bunch of pictures of the top and bottom of the board... probably not needed now. since i seem to have traced the problem back to the display driver... it don't short out when the driver is not inserted but once inserted and turned on the fuse heats up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42760025@N ... 301296913/
tlavite

by tlavite on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:28 pm

I cleaned the board with contact cleaner and made sure there was absolultey no shorts or anything... with the microcontroller installed and the VFD controller installed it wont turn on... with the VFD controller removed the board works... i'm pretty sure the VFD driver has gone bad but idk how... and if so what can i do about it?
tlavite

by adafruit on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:00 pm

OK great, see how we are making progress? This is how one debugs a problem
NOW you know what is causing you difficulty!
Now install the microcontroller again. do you get a beep when its plugged in?

adafruit

by tlavite on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:15 pm

adafruit wrote:OK great, see how we are making progress? This is how one debugs a problem
NOW you know what is causing you difficulty!
Now install the microcontroller again. do you get a beep when its plugged in?

With the Atmega 168 installed, all the buttons, the diode, the battery holder and the switch it beeps when turned on...

But once i install the VFD Display driver and turn it on it dont beep and the fuse gets hot.... once the Driver IC is removed and then the board is powered it beeps.
tlavite

by adafruit on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Yes its pretty clear that its the VFD driver chip that is part of the problem so once you have determined something is a problem you should stop inserting it

when assembling, did you test the HV (~70V) power supply before installing the VFD driver? Did you not solder in the 60V Zener diode or some other part of the HV supply before installing the VFD driver?

you should re-test the HV supply. what is the precise voltage you see on the HV supply?

adafruit

by tlavite on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:37 pm

adafruit wrote:Yes its pretty clear that its the VFD driver chip that is part of the problem so once you have determined something is a problem you should stop inserting it

when assembling, did you test the HV (~70V) power supply before installing the VFD driver? Did you not solder in the 60V Zener diode or some other part of the HV supply before installing the VFD driver?

you should re-test the HV supply. what is the precise voltage you see on the HV supply?

I am getting 55.7 volts out of the high voltage supply. I forgot the zener when i tested the voltage before inserting the VFD driver... but then i inserted the zener and tested the voltage and got 55.7v and the installed the VFD driver. It worked that one time and then it started shorting out idk how the VFD Driver could have gone bad. But what should i do?
tlavite

by adafruit on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:03 pm

send back the VFD driver for testing, email support@adafruit.com

adafruit

by adafruit on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:04 pm

we received the chip and tested it.
the chip is not functional, and was damaged during the kit building process. it was damaged during handling or soldering. likely static discharge or soldering the kit while the power supply was active or plugged in.
make sure you take anti-static precautions when building kits. do not touch the metal leads of chips if it can be avoided. do not place the board on antistatic bags or any other metallic surface. use antistatic mats or ground yourself. do not place chips in 'plain plastic bags', use only antistatic material. do not work on the kit while it is powered. if it was powered WAIT until the power supply is drained before continuing to work.
we'll send you a replacement chip later this week, please be patient.

adafruit

by tlavite on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Must have been ESD... kind of funny because the day after the kit quit working my instructor in class was telling me a story about when he worked at Siemens and had to go get a new IC from the parts desk. He said he had to go get the same part 4 times because every time they dropped the IC into his hand there was a tiny ESD discharge that ruined the chip, he said the discharge was to small to feel but it ruined the chip each time it fell in his hand. He said every time he installed the chip it was bad. So he finally went up to the desk with a rubber box and said drop it in the box this time.

Thank you for sending me another VFD Driver. Very kind since it was most likely my fault with ESD.
tlavite

by tlavite on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks got the part the other day worked perfectly! amazing clock. So bright at night i have to turn it down.
tlavite

by adafruit on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:05 pm

great to hear!!!

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.