Ice Cube Kit : Two Issues
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ice Cube Kit : Two Issues

by paulruby on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:02 pm

The fuse may be sized a bit small or should be replaced with slow-blow type. Just finished my kit and it works great. Unplugged it for a moment, plugged it back in and it was dead. Had to take it all apart again an dthe fuse was blown. I presume this is simply from inrush current getting the caps charged and ramping up the high votlage supply. Anyway... I jumpered the fuse and all is well...

Only other thing was the case. One of the screw holes was partly melted during laser cutting and had to be drilled. Since it was right on the edge of the acrylic, a big chip came out of the side. It's in the back and I super glued it, so is OK. Can't tell from the front.
paulruby

Re: Ice Cube Kit : Two Issues

by adafruit on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:06 am

the fuse is not optional, and resets after a few minutes. do not jumper it. you should immediately fix your kit.

adafruit

by paulruby on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:26 am

Hmm... Then my fuse does not work.... Or it pops on every power up. I've let it sit for for many minutes powered and unpowered and the clock simply no longer works. I'll put a 1-ohm resistor in series with the 9V incoming, hook up a scope and see how much current is flowing on power up and once it settles in.
paulruby

by adafruit on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:25 pm

hmm. did you use a strange power supply? whats the resistance across the fuse when its not powered?

adafruit

by paulruby on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:57 pm

I used the wall wart you folks sent. I'm thinking I just got a bad fuse, but it did work for a while. I will check it's resistance when I get home tonight. And see what the current load looks like....
paulruby

by adafruit on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:11 pm

please do :)

adafruit

by paulruby on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Now the fuse measures fine. 1.7 ohm. 270mV drop in operation. 160mA draw. Seems fine.

So I pulled power a few times and I did get it to not-boot on one of the power ups and it stuck that way for a few power cycles. The fuse remained at 1.7 ohm. Then it came back to life just as suddenly. Now I don't know what to think...
paulruby

by adafruit on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:46 pm

if the clock ever doesnt light up, it may be confused about the power, try removing and replacing the coin cell

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.