Ice Tube Clock firmware multipack
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ice Tube Clock firmware multipack

by DigiSage on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:02 am

I've taken the time to assemble a single firmware package that implements multiple fixes/features. Here's the list of what's included:

(1) My own display mod - adds menu entry "Scnd" to change seconds display to None (time shows as, e.g. "13:00" or "1:00 P" depending on region code), or change to Fast, which shows centiseconds (hundredths of a second, updated very rapidly). Also strips leading 0 in all display modes if set to 12-hour region. You can also use this menu to have the clock display in its stock mode. See more info and demo video here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12978

(2) Fix for intermittent reset issue caused by button presses. Credit goes to caitsith2 from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12780&start=15

(3) Clock calibration menu added, "Cal". I implemented the menu feature, but the actual calibration code is credited to fat16lib from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12720 . The Cal menu lets you set a calibration factor from -99 to +99. The initial value is 0, and if you press the + button it will go all the way to 99 in 1-increments, and then if you hit + while it's at +99, it will loop around to -99 (using the - symbol on the VFD). Keep pressing + and it goes like -98, -97, etc. So, one way or another, you arrive at the value you need. In my case, my clock needed -31 and it's pretty damn accurate now. For more information on how the number works, see the above-mentioned thread.

(4) Photoresistor clock brightness implementation and menu for adjustment. I implemented the menu myself, but everything else is credited to daveparker from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12932 The menu, "thol" (short for threshold) basically adjust DIMMER_THRESHOLD from the clock itself, without having to recompile the firmware every time to find your optimum setting.

The attached zip file includes the modified source code as well as a compiled iv.hex file in case you don't have the toolchain and just want to install it immediately.

Another thing I'd like to do at some point is change my distributions to at least include separate patch files so people can easily see the difference between original source code and the mods, but that's a little difficult to do elegantly.

Have fun and let me know what you think!

firmware09-30-09-multipack-digisage.zip
(170.46 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
DigiSage

Re: Ice Tube Clock firmware multipack

by DigiSage on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:14 pm

A new build of my firmware is linked in the first post. It contains two bug fixes:

(1) If you had "Seconds" set to "NO" (which makes the clock show only hours, minutes, and a flashing-per-second dot between them), region set to USA, then the time was displayed incorrectly at 10PM and 11PM. This has been fixed.

(2) Under certain circumstances, you might be unable to use the "Seconds" menu option. This has now been fixed, and the Seconds menu option should now always work.

I haven't yet taken measures to reduce code size, which has prevented some people from recompiling my firmware. It does, however, build fine for me using avr-gcc 3.4.6 on MacOS X 10.6. You don't have to compile my code if you don't want to, as the compiled .hex file is included, but if you're having trouble building it, this post can help.
DigiSage

by adafruit on Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:06 pm

you guys are really fantastic. just wanted to let you know that the next clock kit we have in the works has been changed specifically to be more hackable - we werent expecting people to enjoy the firmware modding of the Icetube!

adafruit

by jsgf on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:02 pm

adafruit wrote:you guys are really fantastic. just wanted to let you know that the next clock kit we have in the works has been changed specifically to be more hackable - we werent expecting people to enjoy the firmware modding of the Icetube!

What kinds of things are you doing? My wish-list would be:
  • Externally accessible programming connector without removing case
  • Can be programmed without needing to remove tubes/chips/etc...

Otherwise it has been pretty easy to work with.
Advanced IceTubeClock Firmware download Source Git Wiki
jsgf

by Eggplant! on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:35 pm

jsgf wrote: My wish-list would be:
  • Externally accessible programming connector without removing case
  • Can be programmed without needing to remove tubes/chips/etc...

If we're voting, I'll second this. Having to disassemble the case is a bit tedious, but I'll also say the case disassembles/reassembles very easily. It would be much more of a chore with a lesser enclosure. :)
Eggplant!

by DigiSage on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:46 am

I've considered cutting a little rectangular hole in my case, just underneath the bottom of the board, under where the programming connector is, and then installing the header from the underside. Seems like it should work.
DigiSage

by Eggplant! on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:04 am

You'd still have the problem of removing the tube, yes?
Eggplant!

by adafruit on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:04 am

the next clock will be programmable without removing any parts and can be programmed with an 'ftdi' cable by just removing the top.

adafruit

by Troubadix on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:48 am

adafruit wrote:the next clock will be programmable without removing any parts and can be programmed with an 'ftdi' cable by just removing the top.

May I preorder it, already? :D
Troubadix

by adafruit on Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:30 pm

it needs another board rev. :(
But we are -strongly- considering having a 'discount/beta' available in this forum for the clock hackers.

adafruit

by Troubadix on Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Troubadix

by bastard on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:19 pm

adafruit wrote:the next clock will be programmable without removing any parts and can be programmed with an 'ftdi' cable by just removing the top.

In other words - there will be a case too?

Stefan
bastard

by adafruit on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:21 pm

the clock will have a similar acrylic cut case. this time it will be black plastic. it is yet-to-be-designed :)

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.