ICE Tube Clock Firmware Comparison

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jsgf

Re: ICE Tube Clock Firmware Comparison

Post by jsgf »

joerg.daehn wrote:For those of you, who haven't yet noticed: jsgf left a little easter egg in his firmware: just look at today's date . . .
Sure, I, er, um, meant to do that, whatever it is. (Note to self: check date on clock.)

joerg_daehn

Post by joerg_daehn »

Sure, I, er, um, meant to do that, whatever it is. (Note to self: check date on clock.)
Well here on April 1st it was April 0, 2010. I thought that was a nice easter egg. If it happened by chance, never mind.

J.

DarrenG

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by DarrenG »

bastard wrote:I added the URLs beneath the table for easy clicking.
I can only see the table in the blog post which doesn't have URLs of all the various firmware homepages. Are they posted in one place somewhere?

bastard

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by bastard »

Hi,

I just uploaded a new comparison sheet. All firmware modders please let me know, if all your features are correct.

Bye

Stefan

ortsac

Post by ortsac »

I am a novice here and have no way of updating the firmware nor the programming skills to do so. I am willing to buy an MCU that has all the latest firmware mods to the ITC (Ice Tube Clock) already burnt and certifiably verified working unit.

wbp

Post by wbp »

ortsac - are you in the USA? If so, send me a chip and I'll program it for you. Probably best to take this to email: wm (at) usa (dot) net.

William

jyohe

Post by jyohe »

Say, William (wbp),

Have you considering putting your latest revision (mentioned here: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... re#p128768 ) up to the Firmware Comparison chart?

-Jim

crites

Post by crites »

Can anyone point me to a link that will give me info on compiling these firmware packages the ICE Tube Clock?

Got my GPS running, now I think I need the dimmer function.

Thanks,

-TAC

markneub

Post by markneub »

I've decided to make a clock with custom firmware as a gift for someone special, but after downloading the firmware mods from the board I was unable to compile on my platform. After some digging I realized that none of the firmware mods available here are updated for use with avr-libc 1.8.0. I decided to use DigiSage's firmware as my starting point and present here new version of DigiSage's code that is unchanged in functionality but will compile with avr-libc 1.8.0. Actually, all I can really say for sure is that it compiles with some warnings (didn't bother to correct those) on my Mac running 10.6.8 with Objective Development's AVR Crosspack 2012-12-07. I have also sent the firmware to my ice tube clock with avrdude and confirmed that it starts up and runs fine.

Like I said, it's a little ugly but it compiles on my machine now and I'm only uploading it because someone else might find it useful.
Attachments
firmware09-30-09-multipack-digisage-update.zip
DigiSafe ice tube firmware updated for avr-libc 1.8.0
(285 KiB) Downloaded 482 times

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Can anyone point me to a link that will give me info on compiling these firmware packages the ICE Tube Clock?
I am not aware of any such resource. If you have an ATMEGA328P-PU, I would recommend playing with my firmware. It has installation instructions, compiles cleanly, and the code is clearly written.

Some of the older firmware projects no longer compile on recent versions of GCC, so the code will need to be modified in order for them to compile. This is the procedure I used to get the Adafruit code to compile and run on my clock. The procedure for older firmware projects based on the Adafruit code should be similar.

EDIT: The version of GCC that comes with WinAVR is quite old, and these firmwares probably do compile just fine in that environment.

First, the original Adafruit Ice Tube Clock code defines several pointers in program memory which are not declared as constants. These pointers are alphatable_p and numbertable_p in fonttable.h as well as digittable_p and segmenttable_p in iv.c. Recent versions of GCC do not allow nonconstant program memory pointers, so each of these pointers must be declared constant. For example, the definition of alphatable_p should be changed to

Code: Select all

PGM_P const alphatable_p PROGMEM = alphatable;
Second, interrupt names in the original firmware have been deprecated and should be changed to their nondeprecated counterparts. Current and deprecated interrupt names are listed in the avr-libc documentation. Different firmwares may use different interrupts, but the following interrupt name changes were required for the Adafruit GPS firmware:
  • SIG_OVERFLOW0 -> TIMER0_OVF_vect
  • SIG_PIN_CHANGE2 -> PCINT2_vect
  • SIG_PIN_CHANGE0 -> PCINT0_vect
  • SIG_INTERRUPT0 -> INT0_vect
  • SIG_COMPARATOR -> ANALOG_COMP_vect
After these changes, the firmware should compile with the "make" command. The next step is to program the chip, so open the Makefile and make sure the avrdude programmer variables are set correctly. The following settings worked for me with with the Adafruit USBtinyISP:

AVRDUDE_PROGRAMMER = usbtiny
AVRDUDE_PORT = usb
On the Ice Tube Clock, set the brightness to minimum. Unplug the clock and disassemble the case. Remove the side PCB and VFD tube. If using a USBtinyISP, disconnect the power jumper. Reconnect the clock's power adapter and connect your AVR ISP programmer, ensuring PIN 1 on the ISP cable and PIN 1 on the Ice Tube Clock ISP header match. Install the new firmware to the Ice Tube Clock's ATMEGA168V chip by executing the "make full" command.

Porting a firmware to the ATMEGA328P-PU is described in another thread.

Hope that helps. Happy hacking!

windy48

Post by windy48 »

Cool ICE Tube Clock,waiting for your complete.
Cause anyway I don't have any source of this.

Customized Anime Girl Case Fashion Cover For Ipad Air/Air 2

Volodya

Post by Volodya »

Hi. Please help me to solve the problem with compiling HEX files for ATMega328p firmware for your Ice Tube Clock project. I downloaded the source files (in the attachment), but I can not compile them - the command "Make" is interrupted with an error when processing the file time.If you still have ready HEX files for version (revision) "D" please send them to my e-mail ([email protected]). I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance. Sincerely, Vladimir.
The log of the command "Make":

orangepiplus:~/Desktop/firmware$ sudo make
avr-gcc -c -I. -mmcu=atmega328p -std=gnu99 -Os -Wall -DF_CPU=8000000  -o icetube.o icetube.c
avr-gcc -MM -I. -mmcu=atmega328p -std=gnu99 -Os -Wall -DF_CPU=8000000  icetube.c > icetube.d
avr-gcc -c -I. -mmcu=atmega328p -std=gnu99 -Os -Wall -DF_CPU=8000000  -o system.o system.c
avr-gcc -MM -I. -mmcu=atmega328p -std=gnu99 -Os -Wall -DF_CPU=8000000  system.c > system.d
./util.pl time | xargs avr-gcc -c -I. -mmcu=atmega328p -std=gnu99 -Os -Wall -DF_CPU=8000000  -o time.o time.c /bin/sh: 1: ./util.pl: Permission denied
time.c:25:32: error: ‘TIME_DEFAULT_AUTODST’ undeclared here (not in a function)uint8_t ee_time_status EEMEM = TIME_DEFAULT_AUTODST;                              
time.c:29:32: error: ‘TIME_DEFAULT_YEAR’ undeclared here (not in a function)uint8_t ee_time_year   EEMEM = TIME_DEFAULT_YEAR;
time.c:30:32: error: ‘TIME_DEFAULT_MONTH’ undeclared here (not in a function)uint8_t ee_time_month  EEMEM = TIME_DEFAULT_MONTH;
time.c:31:32: error: ‘TIME_DEFAULT_MDAY’ undeclared here (not in a function)uint8_t ee_time_day    EEMEM = TIME_DEFAULT_MDAY;
time.c:32:32: error: ‘TIME_DEFAULT_HOUR’ undeclared here (not in a function)uint8_t ee_time_hour   EEMEM = TIME_DEFAULT_HOUR;                              
time.c:33:32: error: ‘TIME_DEFAULT_MINUTE’ undeclared here (not in a function)uint8_t ee_time_minute EEMEM = TIME_DEFAULT_MINUTE;
time.c:34:32: error: ‘TIME_DEFAULT_SECOND’ undeclared here (not in a function)uint8_t ee_time_second EEMEM = TIME_DEFAULT_SECOND;
Makefile:67: BANNED BANNED BANNED для цели «time.o»
make: *** [time.o] BANNED 123
Attachments
xmas-icetube-master.rar
The source files and schema of your project.
(275.42 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Looking at your output, the first error is

time.c /bin/sh: 1: ./util.pl: Permission denied"
The default macros (TIME_DEFAULT_AUTODST, etc.) are all generated by util.pl, so the later errors make sense because util.pl failed.

So something is preventing the Perl script util.pl from running. Does util.pl have the executable bit ("x") set? If you run util.pl manually, you should see a usage synopsis.

xmas-icetube/firmware % ls -l util.pl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 jarchie  staff  6078 Aug 29  2014 util.pl*
xmas-icetube/firmware % ./util.pl 
Usage:  ./util.pl [time|fuse|lock|memusage]
If the executable bit is not set, try setting it with

xmas-icetube/firmware % chmod +x util.pl
Hope that helps.

Volodya

Post by Volodya »

Hello, thank you very much. Сommand:

xmas-icetube / firmware % chmod +x util.pl
helped and compilation was successful. Today I'm going to flash the microcontroller. I hope everything works out.
If I have further problems when starting the clock, can I ask for help in the relevant sections of the forum?
Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, Vladimir.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Excellent! And congratulations on a successful build.

If you do run into any issues, I would be happy to help. It's probably better to post to the thread for my firmware rather than this one.

Good luck and happy hacking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”