ICE Tube Clock Firmware Comparison

Clock kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bastard
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 am

ICE Tube Clock Firmware Comparison

Post by bastard »

Hi,

as I'm not sure which firmware I want to use or modify I've done a comparison between them. I hope I got all features. If not, please give me some input - I'll put it in asap.
firmware comparison (Medium).png
firmware comparison (Medium).png (127.62 KiB) Viewed 22305 times
The firmware can be downloaded here: Adafriut / BANNED / jsgf / DigiSage

Stefan

last edit: added GPS timekeeping.
Last edited by bastard on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:23 am, edited 7 times in total.

adafruit
 
Posts: 12151
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:21 pm

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by adafruit »

bastard wrote:Hi,as I'm not sure which firmware I want to use or modify I've done a comparison between them. I hope I got all features. If not, please give me some input - I'll put it in asap.
stefan, thank you so much for this - very helpful! we've made this a sticky and we also made this a blog post on adafruit, thanks again!

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2009/11/13 ... clock-kit/

:D

jsgf
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:21 am

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by jsgf »

Fantastic, thanks a lot for doing this! It really helps to be able to see them side-by-side.

And you scooped me on drift correction! I only *just* committed that, and haven't announced it at all yet!

One thing I'd mention - and admittedly because I'm biased from having spent some time implementing it - is display transitions. Aside from looking pretty, I find they do actually help give a cue as to what just happened when you pressed the button without having to read the display... And if the shape of '9' is worth mentioning, then this is ;)

Maybe its worth having a "notes" or "other" field for things like that.

bastard
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 am

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by bastard »

It's a bit difficult for me, not to misunderstand you. I'm not sooo good in english ...
jsgf wrote:And you scooped me on drift correction! I only *just* committed that, and haven't announced it at all yet!
Sorry ... :D I just downloaded the last firmware paket from git ... and it was already in, so why not mention it.
jsgf wrote:One thing I'd mention - and admittedly because I'm biased from having spent some time implementing it - is display transitions. Aside from looking pretty, I find they do actually help give a cue as to what just happened when you pressed the button without having to read the display... And if the shape of '9' is worth mentioning, then this is ;)
I agree, but do not fully understand. So I make you a "notes" field. What would you have to be in there? Please give me your words.

Stefan

jsgf
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:21 am

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by jsgf »

bastard wrote:I agree, but do not fully understand. So I make you a "notes" field. What would you have to be in there? Please give me your words.
OK, rather than having separate lines for relatively minor things like "shape of 9" and "test mode", add a notes field with:

BANNED: (#) Adjustable shape of 9. (#/tick) Test mode.
Jsgf: animated display transitions

Though "shape of 9" is so simple to implement I may as well do it...

DigiSage
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by DigiSage »

I have no trouble building / flashing my firmware with the MacOS X avr packages. However, there are definitely things I can do to make the file smaller. Also, I believe I discovered a bug in the "No" seconds display mode, which hopefully I will fix soon.

bastard
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 am

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by bastard »

Hi,

I just installed all the needed pakets on my debian lenny server - it also isn't able to upload the .hex file, sorry.
DigiSage wrote:I have no trouble building / flashing my firmware with the MacOS X avr packages.
Sorry, I've no Mac around me. :wink:

Stefan

jone
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:12 am

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by jone »

Hi,

I believe gcc 4.3.2 ( WinAVR 20090313) has more aggressive function inlining optimisations.
Adding "--param inline-call-cost=2" to the compiler options reduces the size of DigiSage firmware as follows --

From:
Program: 16648 bytes (101.6% Full)

To:
Program: 15488 bytes (94.5% Full)

Hope this helps someone out.
Jon

bastard
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 am

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by bastard »

Hi,
jone wrote:Adding "--param inline-call-cost=2" to the compiler options reduces the size of DigiSage firmware
yes! It worked! Updating the sheet ...

Stefan

jsgf
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:21 am

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by jsgf »

jone wrote:Adding "--param inline-call-cost=2" to the compiler options reduces the size of DigiSage firmware as follows --
...
Hope this helps someone out.
Thanks for the tip! That reduces my code size from 9516 to 8642 which is a nice saving!

DigiSage
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by DigiSage »

FYI, I posted a new build of my firmware, just bugfixes at this point, but I thought I'd mention it here.

User avatar
dataman
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by dataman »

Might I suggest posting URLs to the project homepages in the chart?
Would simply finding this stuff for newbies...

User avatar
eggplantǃ
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by eggplantǃ »

I'm not sure if the board software allows this, but I'd prefer an HTML table over an embedded image if possible. That way you can add things like links to the forum topics or web sites, be able to copy/paste information, etc.

bastard
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 am

Re: Firmware Comparison

Post by bastard »

Hi,
Eggplant! wrote:I'm not sure if the board software allows this, but I'd prefer an HTML table over an embedded image if possible. That way you can add things like links to the forum topics or web sites, be able to copy/paste information, etc.
unfortunately html-tables are not possible in this forum. If they were, I would have done it that way. I added the URLs beneath the table for easy clicking.

Stefan

User avatar
joerg_daehn
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Re: ICE Tube Clock Firmware Comparison

Post by joerg_daehn »

For those of you, who haven't yet noticed: jsgf left a little easter egg in his firmware: just look at today's date . . .

Best Regards,

J. Dähn

Locked
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clocks”