Looking for assistance bringing an IceTube clock back to lif
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Looking for assistance bringing an IceTube clock back to lif

by Rome_Rob on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Several days ago I was awoken in the middle of the night by the beeper on my almost 9 year old IceTube clock. It was the power-on beep but it was constant. I believe the display was on, but it was late and all I really remember is unplugging it and going back to sleep. The next morning when I plugged it back in I did not get the power on beep and there was nothing on the display. I tested the power supply and it's providing the listed voltage (9V).

I found a thread in the forums that had the same symptoms as me and lead me to believe that Q3/PN2907 could be the cause. A few other users chimed in that replacing this solved their issues so I ordered the replacement. The part arrived today and unfortunately I still have the same issue.

I get the power-on beep if the tube is not connected to the board.
If I plug in the tube, the unit is silent when power is applied. There is no display.
With the tube removed, I'm getting the proper voltage ranges at the 7805.
With the tube removed, I'm getting 45v at the boost converter.

Any suggestions?

Rome_Rob

Re: Looking for assistance bringing an IceTube clock back to

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:26 am

What voltage do you see at the boost converter with the tube installed?

adafruit_support_bill

by Rome_Rob on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:58 am

Bill,

I plugged it in w/ the tube attached (no display, no beep) & the voltage at the boost converter was 8v. It slowly climbed to 9v and then slowly dropped down to 4.5v. I knew I had good contact with the diode because if I removed the multimeter leads it would go back to hunting for the voltage range. I unplugged the clock, plugged it back in, it beeped, and the tube came on. I've power cycled it several additional times at this point & it's worked every time. I'm getting 22.5v at the boost converter now and the display definitely seems brighter than what I remember. Not sure if that's due to the new mosfet or if the brightness level got reset.

No clue why its magically working, but at this point I'm willing to leave it alone and see what happens.

Cheers,

Rob

Rome_Rob

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:14 am

Good to hear that it is working for now. The other big variable with these is the tubes themselves. A drop or bump can knock things loose and result in an internal short.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.