Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.
0

Monochron power supply
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Monochron power supply

by bastard on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:52 am

Hi Limor,

what kind of power supply is included?
This one with exchangeable plug? If not, will you please remove it from my order if I mention it in the remarks field?

Bye

Stefan
bastard
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria

Re: Monochron power supply

by adafruit on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:32 pm

bastard wrote:Hi Limor, what kind of power supply is included?
This one with exchangeable plug? If not, will you please remove it from my order if I mention it in the remarks field? Bye Stefan


it's not the same power supply - we're not going to do custom order requests, sorry. we can cancel the order if you'd like - just email support@adafruit.com -- eventually we may have all the items separate, but for now please respect our requests so we can best crank out the kits :)

cheers,
adafruit

adafruit
 
Posts: 12151
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:21 pm
Location: nyc

Re: Monochron power supply

by bastard on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 am

My last post vanished ... never mind.

The power supply is unusable for me. Please keep it. Maybe other non US customers think the same. Maybe they have already a wallwart or similar. I don't want to pollute the environment by throwing it to the waste basket. Please think about to remove all power supplys from your kits. The MintyBoost kit does not invlude the "case" - so it should be possible to seperate the kits from useless parts. Thank you very much.

Stefan
bastard
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria

Re: Monochron power supply

by adafruit on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:45 pm

bastard wrote:My last post vanished ... never mind. The power supply is unusable for me. Please keep it. Maybe other non US customers think the same. Maybe they have already a wallwart or similar. I don't want to pollute the environment by throwing it to the waste basket. Please think about to remove all power supplys from your kits. The MintyBoost kit does not invlude the "case" - so it should be possible to seperate the kits from useless parts. Thank you very much. Stefan


hi stefan,

we posted a reply to your message in the other forum too. we think a lot about power supplies - we also release different versions of kits, updates and "packs" after an initial kit release - we appreciate the suggestions, keep in mind a kit is not "set in stone" - we may offer options later. if you'd like to wait until we have more options for a specific kit that's an option too :)

thanks,
adafruit

adafruit
 
Posts: 12151
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:21 pm
Location: nyc

Re: Monochron power supply

by joerg_daehn on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:54 pm

adafruit wrote:
bastard wrote:My last post vanished ... never mind. The power supply is unusable for me. Please keep it. Maybe other non US customers think the same. Maybe they have already a wallwart or similar. I don't want to pollute the environment by throwing it to the waste basket. Please think about to remove all power supplys from your kits. The MintyBoost kit does not invlude the "case" - so it should be possible to seperate the kits from useless parts. Thank you very much. Stefan


hi stefan,

we posted a reply to your message in the other forum too. we think a lot about power supplies - we also release different versions of kits, updates and "packs" after an initial kit release - we appreciate the suggestions, keep in mind a kit is not "set in stone" - we may offer options later. if you'd like to wait until we have more options for a specific kit that's an option too :)

thanks,
adafruit


Limor,

I have to support Stefan here: The wallwart is a failure. I bought an adapter, plugged it in (may be the wrong way, but how should I know as an European) and it blew a fuse or something. Smelled like burnt plastics. Please, make the wallwarts an option, especially for overseas customers.

Joerg

joerg_daehn
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Re: Monochron power supply

by adafruit on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:39 pm

was it one of the switching power supplies that says 110-220V on it?

adafruit
 
Posts: 12151
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:21 pm
Location: nyc

Re: Monochron power supply

by joerg_daehn on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:20 pm

adafruit wrote:was it one of the switching power supplies that says 110-220V on it?

I have no clue as I recently got rid of my electronics waste (brought it to recycling facility, of course). May be this helps: I bought an ice tube clock kit, so you can just look up my name in your customer db, I guess.

(OT: For the x0xb0x kit (if you ever make any new ones) though the adapter should be included as it's AC/AC (I think) and hard to come by, I guess. And just to stop everyone frying their x0x inadvertently.)

Best regards,

Joerg Daehn, Hannover, Germany

joerg_daehn
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Re: Monochron power supply

by r17 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:08 am

I havent had any problem with those wall warts in England. I have one from the Ice Tube kit and one from an Evil mad Scientist clock and so far neither have given any problem.

r17
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:54 am

Re: Monochron power supply

by adafruit on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:58 pm

joerg.daehn wrote:
adafruit wrote:was it one of the switching power supplies that says 110-220V on it?

I have no clue as I recently got rid of my electronics waste (brought it to recycling facility, of course). May be this helps: I bought an ice tube clock kit, so you can just look up my name in your customer db, I guess.


they're certainly designed to work everywhere, but it could be you got a bad one. please contact support@adafruit & we'll send you out a new one, we've had -thousands- used around the world and this is the first time someone's mentioned it

adafruit
 
Posts: 12151
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:21 pm
Location: nyc

Re: Monochron power supply

by winch on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:58 am

Some of those US to Euro adapters are unsafe. They are made from plastic which is far too brittle and breaks easily. They also have really poor construction so shorts and the like are not out of the question.
Best to spend more and buy a branded adapter in retail packaging from a reputable chain.
winch
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Monochron power supply

by joerg_daehn on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Some of those US to Euro adapters are unsafe. They are made from plastic which is far too brittle and breaks easily. They also have really poor construction so shorts and the like are not out of the question.
Best to spend more and buy a branded adapter in retail packaging from a reputable chain.


Actually the adapter to the adapter didn't break. It was the wallwart.

I would think that something like this: Image would be better.

http://www.netzgeraet.de/images/medium/93-808-02430_bild76476587587991.jpg


The adapter-adapter: Well it was a "Brennenstuhl" (could be translated as "burning chair" which doesn't inspire much confidence :D ) that is considered good to superior quality over here.

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/610847/REISEADAPTER-USA-JAPAN-SCHUTZKONTAKT/0226312

joerg_daehn
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Re: Monochron power supply

by ssquire on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:35 am

Not too sure of the QC on the adapters, or, more likely, of the incoming parts inspection pre-assembly. The one that came with the monochron has an LED that is a LOT brighter than the one from the ice-tube clock kit. Not a complaint and nothing a resistor won't cure, but noteworthy.

ssquire
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Monochron power supply

by EdA on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Did you consider a 9V battery as a power source?

Thanks, this project looks amazing!

/Ed
EdA
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.