Snap a picture of your ADAFRUIT clock and post it here!

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wd6cmu

Re: Snap a picture of your ADAFRUIT clock and post it here!

Post by wd6cmu »

[quote="Daygecko"]Here is a picture of an IceTube clock I built using clear screws for the case.

I gotta know: Where'd you find the clear screws?

daygecko

Post by daygecko »

IceTube clock in 3D printed case designed by Nathan Matsuda @ Thingiverse, using an AdaFruit designed circuit board and software with mods by DigiSage.
Printed with Z-Corp Spectrum printer and then epoxy filled and painted.

daygecko

Post by daygecko »

wd6cmu wrote:
Daygecko wrote:Here is a picture of an IceTube clock I built using clear screws for the case.

I gotta know: Where'd you find the clear screws?
McMaster Carr
94905A005 Polycarbonate Hex Nut, 4-40 Thread Size, 1/4" Width, 3/32" Height
93140A109 Polycarbonate Machine Screw, Pan Head Phillips 4-40 Thread, 1/2" Length

bkrontz

Post by bkrontz »

The cookie dough in the background was definitely a giant help while building this (and while quitting smoking).

Almost there...

Done!

jyohe

Post by jyohe »

No photo at this time but I wanted to say that this was my first electronics kit assembly project since my days of building Heathkit radios in the 70s. Very good instructions online and "pretty good" bill of materials.

I found it extremely helpful to run the tests outlined in the assembly instructions and to also verify resistor values using my multimeter during assembly. Believe me that even though I can still read color codes on resistors the colors are not always consistent it it helps to "double-check" them before placement.

I wish my multimeter had the ability to measure capacitance and in the one instance the inductor which came with the kit I am 95% confident that I placed the correct values in their corresponding locations. As such I'd recommend purchasing the Adafruit "Extech EX330 12-function autoranging multimeter" ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/308 ) or similar so I might just be making such a purchase in the near future.

Though I can still "see" pretty well I had the forethought to purchase a magnifying visor to help me. Though I considered the Adafruit "OptiVisor - head-mounted magnifier - MV5" it lacked some features I found more useful in ones that had LED lighting and jeweler's loops. These can be found on eBay.

Without a vise to hold the PCBs during assembly made it a little awkward but I was successful. I'd consider the Adafruit "Panavise Jr. - PV-201" ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/151 ) but don't know at this time if it's large enough for the job. The Xytronix "Adjustable 30W 110V soldering iron - XY-258 110V" ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/180 ) sold by Adafruit turned out to be an excellent investment. The tip selection available elsewhere will make this a great choice for other types of assembly projects.

All in all it was a fun project and will consider the GPS and display dimming mods as updates to this clock.

jyohe

Post by jyohe »

WOW Daygecko that is one very nice case you've made for your clock!!!!

bkrontz

Post by bkrontz »

Without a vise to hold the PCBs during assembly made it a little awkward but I was successful. I'd consider the Adafruit "Panavise Jr. - PV-201" ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/151 ) but don't know at this time if it's large enough for the job.
The Panavise Jr. was perfect for this project. I'm so happy with that little gadget... really a big step up from using the "Helping Hands" for everything.

brand

Post by brand »

For what it's worth, I ordered the clear screws and nuts from McMaster-Carr on Tuesday, and they were here the next day. About $26 for 50 each (screws come in packs of 50, nuts in packs of 25; go figger), and free shipping. I have to say those guys rock.

Thanks @Daygecko.

Take care,
brad

jsownz

Post by jsownz »

Had to get a new tube cause mine had a short in it, but I got the new piece super quick and it works perfectly now!
IceTuebClock.jpg
IceTuebClock.jpg (79.85 KiB) Viewed 6122 times

samckittrick

Post by samckittrick »

Here's mine. It was a really fun build and I've learned a lot programming it too.
IMG_5826s.jpg
IMG_5826s.jpg (48.48 KiB) Viewed 6110 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

nice work Sam! is that custom ISS firmware code yours?

samckittrick

Post by samckittrick »

Yes it is. Thanks for posting it on your blog.

-Scott :D

wd6cmu

Post by wd6cmu »

brand wrote:For what it's worth, I ordered the clear screws and nuts from McMaster-Carr on Tuesday, and they were here the next day. About $26 for 50 each (screws come in packs of 50, nuts in packs of 25; go figger), and free shipping. I have to say those guys rock.
Got mine last week. I hope Adafruit makes these standard once they run out of the black hardware. Not only does it look nicer but the Phillips head makes it much less likely your screwdriver will slip while tightening and scratch your case.

macegr

Post by macegr »

samckittrick wrote:Yes it is. Thanks for posting it on your blog.

-Scott :D
Next you need to figure out how to hack that clear globe with a mechanical pointer or a laser or something, to show the same information :)

drsproc

Post by drsproc »

Adafruit’s - Ice Clock! Nice conversation piece for the living room…
Attachments
ice_clock
ice_clock
ice_clock.png (606.44 KiB) Viewed 7729 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”