Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Got stuck in the middle of the soldering process...
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Got stuck in the middle of the soldering process...

by AnnaOnWeb on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:59 pm

.. because I soldered the smaller pcb the wrong way (wrong side) Tomatoes on my eyes? Grrrrh! What do Americans say in this case?

Everything else seems to be good soldering, I got the 58V but it took a while (10 min. at least) until I dared to touch the main pcb again.
Another prob occured - my multimeter does not work reliable. It showed only 3,2 V at the first measure point and I desoldered the 7805 and replaced it with one I already had = same thing. That desoldering was hard enough. But I am not able to desolder the small pcb - even the toothpick trick did not do the job.

Dear Lady Ada, may I ask what it would cost if I get the small pcb and the matching male header as well? I already planned to buy the ninth Game of Life - could you put these spare parts into the envelope too and charge me sth. for that?

And: I haven´t bought the kit from you - I got one from Watterott in Germany - yes they still have some V 1.1! I will order a new kit today and will replace the spare parts and return the complete kit to Watterott. Because I am a very honest person I will contact Watterott in advance if that could be done.

Another technical question: I need dimming and I have to install avrdude again to my Mac - that will take some time.
Can I already solder the R4-1k and your fotosensor in? If the original firmware only ignores this that won´t be a prob???

Thank you very much in advance - I have so much fun with your products

Yours,

AnnaOnWeb
AnnaOnWeb

Re: Got stuck in the middle of the soldering process...

by adafruit on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:47 pm

hi, if you need replacement parts, please email support@adafruit with a link to this post and we'll take care of you :)

if you solder in a photo cell and R4, the 'stock' firmware just ignores it so its OK

adafruit

by AnnaOnWeb on Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:25 pm

Oh Lady Ada - that was prompt service! Thank you so much!!!
But now I have won some time to dig out the USBTiny and avrdude had to be reinstalled on Mac OS X 10.6.3. After that the flashing process was smooth and easy.
Can´t see the results yet - I hope I won´t damage anything else ;-)
AnnaOnWeb

by AnnaOnWeb on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi Lady Ada,
thank you for sending the spare parts same day but they seemed to got stuck in the ash cloud or were put onto a ship.
I went the safe way: Ordered from Watterott in Germany (absolutely best service) another kit and soldered the rest today.
And see here - still under construction:

The dim mod does not seem to work... but I will get to that.
After I will have got your spare parts I will assemble the next clock. It is so beautyful.
Have a nice day and many thanks,
Anna
Attachments
IMG_0817_2.JPG
IMG_0817_2.JPG (23.35 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
AnnaOnWeb

by adafruit on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:16 pm

yes some packages were delayed but they will show up soon!

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.