Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Ice Tube Clock partially working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ice Tube Clock partially working

by mitch1946 on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:07 am

Based on your suggestion I re-soldered some dodgy looking connections and it has fixed the + button and allowed settings to be updated .

I'm testing it more later today and will report...

mitch1946

Re: Ice Tube Clock partially working

by jarchie on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:26 am

Excellent and congratulations on a successful fix!

For context, this thread is the continuation of a discussion quoted below:
mitch1946 wrote:I acquired the Ice Tube Clock Kit in 2013, but only this Xmas have I built it. I'm an amateur, made a coupe of mistakes, but managed to get it nearly working.
At present I cannot adjust the Region to EU, not can I adjust the time - the + button has no effiect.
Is this fixable?

and as I presume from your blog, is there a new clock kit available - I'd like to get one working relaibly.

jarchie wrote:Unfortunately, my redesign is not a kit so people need to go out and buy the parts individually to build it. (By the way, I am just an Adafruit customer, fellow forum user, and hardware tinkerer. But I don't really have any affiliation with Adafruit--other than being a huge fan of this clock design.) My guess is that your clock should be pretty easy to fix, possibly by touching up the solder joints on the "+" button. So my recommendation would be to go that route.

I suggest creating a new thread here and repost your description of the problem as well as add photographs of the front and back of your main board. We will check for any obvious build mistakes and offer further advice based on that. (By "we," I am referring to myself, other forum users, or possibly an official Adafruit support person.)

Take care and happy holidays!

jarchie

by mitch1946 on Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:17 pm

USide view 1.png
USide view 1.png (395.57 KiB) Viewed 173 times

With your advice I checked the joints as above: Having tweaked those 2 joints the 3rd digit which for example would display "se ", ie a blank instead of "set" now displays correctly.
Can you guide me to understanding the circuit board with the VFD Tube diagram in ice-tube-clock-kit.pdf p11 on.
I would like to prove that either of the red circled joints was the problem for the display.
Dimmimg.png
Dimmimg.png (524.38 KiB) Viewed 173 times

I've now managed to get all functions working, and only have a final comment, as the display seems to dim at its RH end.
The photo doesn't quite represent the dimming but unless you have a good angle on the tube its difficult to read the seconds.
I progressively checked voltages as defined in the kit documentation, and was in range for those tests.

Its a great kit and much fun!

mitch1946

by jarchie on Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:26 am

mitch1946 wrote:I would like to prove that either of the red circled joints was the problem for the display.

Given that you got the display working, I think you were correct to touch up these joints. :-)

mitch1946 wrote:I've now managed to get all functions working, and only have a final comment, as the display seems to dim at its RH end.

What is the part number of Q3? Some older kits came with a ZVP3306 transistor which sometimes wasn't able to pass enough current to fully light the display--often resulting in a dim rightmost digit. Newer kits came with a ZVP2110A for Q3 which fixed that issue.

Adafruit used to provide a free Q3 replacement (ZVP2110A) for the older kits, but given that this kit has been discontinued for a while, I don't think they are able to do this anymore. It is still possible to order the ZVP2110A from Digi-Key or Mouser yourself, however. It's a cheap part--the main cost is shipping.

jarchie

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:09 am

Adafruit used to provide a free Q3 replacement (ZVP2110A) for the older kits, but given that this kit has been discontinued for a while, I don't think they are able to do this anymore. It is still possible to order the ZVP2110A from Digi-Key or Mouser yourself, however. It's a cheap part--the main cost is shipping.

That is correct. We do not have these in stock anymore. For smaller orders, I find Mouser typically has the best low-price shipping options.

adafruit_support_bill

by mitch1946 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:20 pm

Thanks all for your advice - I will get a replacement when stores open after the Xmas/New Year break

mitch1946

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.