There is no USPS pickup on Monday Feb 15th, 2016 because of President's Day. USPS orders placed after 11am EST Fri February 12th will go out Tuesday February 16. UPS orders will ship as normal.

Monochron working ... for a while
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Monochron working ... for a while

by arclight on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:28 pm

I seem to be having issues with a Monochron similar to some previously posted. It passes the initial power supply and no-display "beep" tests. The clock boots, can be set, runs for a while (minutes to overnight), then the display freezes/freaks out. I can reset it by pulling and replacing the power. Alarm & 12/24hr settings are preserved on restart, time and date are not (implying an RTC issue?). Testing the coin cell gives 3.3V so I can rule that out. I'm tempted to wipe down the board to remove flux & remelt joints near the RTC.

If need be, I'll post better photos later; the phone camera seems to want to make everything smudgy and washed-out.

monochron_front.png
Monochron - front
monochron_front.png (409.19 KiB) Viewed 830 times

Yes, C2 should be lying flat. Also, that's a replacement LED for similar reasons. :/

Just noticed R10 is missing (confessional debugging); will investigate the significance of that ASAP.

monochron_back.png
Monochron - back
monochron_back.png (388.65 KiB) Viewed 830 times

Thanks much,

-- Bob

PS: This is not my week; software issues drove me to hardware. I expect the clock problems to be minor setbacks, though it's part of a long string of failure. Most upsetting was the build process for the IoT Printer kit, but that's a subject for another post (short answer: soldering wire to header pins is a hack, a particularly miserable and frustrating one to spring on someone building a kit. Zero fun.)
arclight

Re: Monochron working ... for a while

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi Bob,

R10 is not used, so don't worry about that. Can't really see much detail in the soldering. If you can get some better photos, that would help. A little larger would be good too. About 800x600 should be fine.

I have heard of crystal oscillators misbehaving due to residual carbonized solder flux, but yours doesn't look all that bad from what I can see from here.

adafruit_support_bill

by at2marty on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am

I know this is off topic, but I'm curious... In the first picture I noticed that there is an R2' and an R2, the same with IC2' and IC2. What is the difference and why are they labeled that way?

at2marty

by Wody on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:38 am

at2marty wrote:What is the difference and why are they labeled that way?

The answers are in the instructions, at http://www.ladyada.net/make/monochron/solder.html
Just search for IC2 and R2
Wody

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.