Another Ice Tube Clock Design for the Holidays

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nix_clk_dd

Re: Another Ice Tube Clock Design for the Holidays

Post by nix_clk_dd »

jarchie wrote:
nix_clk_dd wrote:Well I'm not quite done yet. All of the functional hardware/software parts are done with a HUGE thanks to you!
I still need to build the wood enclosure that I was discussing (and for my nixie tube clock).
I was delighted to be able to help. Have fun with the remainder of the build. It sounds like a blast! :-)
Returning to say wow! The temperature compensated timekeeping feature seems to be working very well.
I did use an "upgraded" quartz oscillator, but after 60 or 70 days the clock is less than half a second behind the time.gov atomic clock that I synced it to.

I still haven't made any progress on the enclosure so I don't have any cool pictures to share :(

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

nix_clk_dd wrote:Returning to say wow! The temperature compensated timekeeping feature seems to be working very well.
I did use an "upgraded" quartz oscillator, but after 60 or 70 days the clock is less than half a second behind the time.gov atomic clock that I synced it to.
I'm glad to hear that the timekeeping is working well for you. I've run the software temperature compensation in this clock against a clock using a dedicated TCXO (the Maxim DS32khz chip), and the software temperature compensation was actually more accurate. Of course just one test doesn't prove anything, but I've made a few of these clocks and they are all remarkably accurate.
nix_clk_dd wrote:I still haven't made any progress on the enclosure so I don't have any cool pictures to share :(
No worries. You've already posted the pictures of your initial build which are pretty cool, so thanks. :-)

Anyway, happy hacking and good luck with all your projects!

mitch1946

Post by mitch1946 »

I acquired the Ice Tube Clock Kit in 2013, but only this Xmas have I built it. I'm an amateur, made a coupe of mistakes, but managed to get it nearly working.
At present I cannot adjust the Region to EU, not can I adjust the time - the + button has no effiect.
Is this fixable?

and as I presume from your blog, is there a new clock kit available - I'd like to get one working relaibly.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Unfortunately, my redesign is not a kit so people need to go out and buy the parts individually to build it. (By the way, I am just an Adafruit customer, fellow forum user, and hardware tinkerer. But I don't really have any affiliation with Adafruit--other than being a huge fan of this clock design.) My guess is that your clock should be pretty easy to fix, possibly by touching up the solder joints on the "+" button. So my recommendation would be to go that route.

I suggest creating a new thread here and repost your description of the problem as well as add photographs of the front and back of your main board. We will check for any obvious build mistakes and offer further advice based on that. (By "we," I am referring to myself, other forum users, or possibly an official Adafruit support person.)

Take care and happy holidays!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”