Ice Tube Clock

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Guillaume_Lalande

Ice Tube Clock

Post by Guillaume_Lalande »

I soldered all the circuit components and the brightness of seconds is not adustable. I think is a hardware problem.

[/img]\Desktop\Clock.JPG[/img]

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Tube Clock

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You photo is not showing up. Use the "Choose File" button under the message editing box to select your image file, then select "Add The File" to upload it.

Guillaume_Lalande

Post by Guillaume_Lalande »

The seconds are less brite.
Attachments
Clock.JPG
Clock.JPG (127.29 KiB) Viewed 532 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

This is a known phenomenon and is a function of the way the tube is driven. It is mentioned in the FAQ (see last question) https://learn.adafruit.com/ice-tube-clock-kit/faq

Some customers have developed firmware modifications to address this issue: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 6&p=175883

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

The Adafruit design drives the IV-18 filament with ~2.5v of direct current, and the IV-18 filament was designed to be driven by ~5v of alternating current. On some tubes, the Ice Tube Clock is unable to sufficiently heat the filament, and the result is a final and/or initial digit that is noticeably dimmer. This dim digit issue can be resolved by replacing Q3 with a transistor capable of providing more power to the IV-18 filament.

I suggest the ZVP2110A, available from Digi-Key (ZVP2110A-ND) or Mouser (522-ZVP2110A). Another excellent alternative is the is the PN2907A/resistor combination described by Russell27. Both solutions will provide additional power to the IV-18 filament and even out the display.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”