Can I make Ice tube louder?

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rabbitfrog

Can I make Ice tube louder?

Post by Rabbitfrog »

Now that it's fixed I am loving this clock so much, but I am a very deep sleeper and waking up to this clock is very hard for me even on loudest setting. So is there any way for me to get it louder? Can I upgrade the piezo element maybe? I am not big on programming so I doubt I'd be able to up the power of it through firmware (assuming its possible). Anyone has any tricks maybe?

adafruit2

Re: Can I make Ice tube louder?

Post by adafruit2 »

You might be able to desolder the piezo and solder in this
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1739

and stick it on the outside!

Rabbitfrog

Post by Rabbitfrog »

Thanks! I don't know if I will be able to stick it outside somehow without ruining the look, might have to find a place inside somewhere, as long as it's louder I will be happy.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Sorry for the late reply...

In my limited experience, the majority of people who use the default Ice Tube Clock alarm consider it too loud and grating. But my mother, like you, did not think the clock alarm was all that loud. After some research, I discovered that she had some mild hearing loss at higher frequencies, including 4,000 Hz used in the Ice Tube Clock. Apparently that's pretty common.

On the off chance that your problem is similar, you could try my firmware (forum, GitHub) which has a selectable alarm sound, including a lower frequency that works much better for my mother. Or you could try hacking the default firmware yourself; the Adafruit piezo is designed to resonate best at around 4,000 Hz, but has another sweet spot at around 1,367 Hz that is still fairly loud.

Rabbitfrog

Post by Rabbitfrog »

Good, point 4kHz is indeed considered to be the most unpleasant frequency in audio spectrum, that's why a lot of pop music notches out the mid range ;) I know I have hearing problems but not sure what frequency at though, maybe I should run a test. But I know I have problems waking up to other alarms as well. I changed the piezo and so far it seems to be working fine, I respond to the alarm within minutes which seems to be the ideal way.

But man, what a nice firmware you've made. Unfortunately I don't have the means or the skills to implement it, but it looks awesome from description. Thanks for your input.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Rabbitfrog wrote:I know I have hearing problems but not sure what frequency at though, maybe I should run a test. [...] I changed the piezo and so far it seems to be working fine, I respond to the alarm within minutes which seems to be the ideal way.
When people begin to have hearing problems, the higher frequencies are usually the first to go--at least from what I've read. But I'm delighted that you've found a solution that works for you, so I guess the issue is moot.
Rabbitfrog wrote:But man, what a nice firmware you've made. Unfortunately I don't have the means or the skills to implement it, but it looks awesome from description.
I thank you for the kind words. If you're really interested in my firmware, shoot me an email with your mailing address, and I'd be happy to send you a chip. Upgrading is as simple as pulling the ATmega168v that came with the kit and inserting the ATmega328p with my firmware. And if you don't like my firmware, just pull the ATmega328p, and install the original ATmega168v back in the IC socket.

(My "public" address has heavy spam filters, so if you email me and I don't reply within 48 hours, please post back to this thread and I'll provide another way to contact me. Sorry, but I really dislike spam.)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”