Ice Tube Clock assembly - mixed up IC socket & chip

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
smilek33

Ice Tube Clock assembly - mixed up IC socket & chip

Post by smilek33 »

Working with my grandson to assemble the Ice Tube Clock we mixed up the IC soccet and the chip. Frankly the photo of the IC socket in the instruction manual is not very clear and we just messes up. We soldered about half of the pins before we realized that we had soldered the chip directly to the board.
First, can we proceed or do we have to undo the chip and install the socket first and then the chip?
Next, if we damage a prong on the chip can we purchase a replacement chip? (I am a dentist and can drill out the solder from the bottom but might end up shortening one of the prongs in the chip to the point where it will not reach the socket and therefore not connect.) Is there an easy way to melt the solder so it falls out? I have a Hakko FX-888D soldering iron.
Any other suggestions? I already know that I should stick to being a dentist, but I am retired already and working with my grandson is the most fun.
Thanks for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Tube Clock assembly - mixed up IC socket & chip

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Desoldering a multi-pin device is a real pain. There are specialized desoldering tools that make it easier, but it is still possible to do with a solder-sucker and/or solder-wick and a good deal of patience. The patience is the most important ingredient because forcing anything can cause damage to the chip or the board itself.

That said, the socket is not an essential component. It just makes replacing the chip easier. At this point, you might consider just soldering the rest of the pins. If at some point down the road we determine that there is a problem with the processor, you can just clip all the pins and de-solder them one-by-one (much easier that way).

smilek33

Re: Ice Tube Clock assembly - mixed up IC socket & chip

Post by smilek33 »

Thanks so much. I will follow your advice.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”