Daylight savings adjustment for an Arduino GPS Clock

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ucdailoi

Re: Daylight savings adjustment for an Arduino GPS Clock

Post by ucdailoi »

[quote="dsegel"]You only need one normally open momentary pushbutton - the code I posted earlier toggles the timezone offset between two hardcoded values. In my case (West Coast US), it toggles between -7 and -8 hours off of GMT.

Have just read this again and it strikes me that as I am 10+ of GMT with a 1 hour variation between states my system will need to be much different.. I suspect at first glance that the change is merely in changing the times in the software, but I will need to clarify that once I get it up and running again..

We do have some states here where the time varies by 1/2 an hour or 2.5 hours... Something else for me to consider.

As I said earlier I had expected a simple 1 hour up and 1 hour back, but after what you have just mentioned it may be a case of 1 button for hours and a 2nd button for minutes..

Ill work my way through it when the time comes... Right now I am in the planning stage

dsegel

Post by dsegel »

You could easily use two buttons and make them go up and down. Just wire them to two different pins and make the code add or subtract the offset when they are pushed. Make sure to put in range checking so you don't allow something like +45 hours.

ucdailoi

Post by ucdailoi »

I appreciate your support.... I am in No-Mans-land and the thought that you have an answer will help me push on.

I am determined to build this very useful gismo and get it up and running..

I will eventually get back to you with the completed project, just dont hold your breath whilst you wait :)

jdkullmann

Post by jdkullmann »

Rather than add hardware I'm wondering if anyone has found or written a library to take care of the DST offsetting? It's not trivial and sometimes the rules change but I know all Unix, Mac and Windows systems have DST libraries so it's certainly possible. I'd rather add a library and have it automatically change than add a pushbutton to my case, it seems more elegant.

I've had this clock assembled and working for over a year and I love it - the only downside is opening my case and plugging in USB and uploading a sketch with the time constant (-4, -5, etc) changed every 6 months!
Attachments
IMG_5330.jpg
IMG_5330.jpg (120.5 KiB) Viewed 771 times

dsegel

Post by dsegel »

There's at least one: https://github.com/JChristensen/Timezone

I've never used it though.

jdkullmann

Post by jdkullmann »

Thanks I'll take a look at it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”