Going to build my first Clock.

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
laserengraver

Going to build my first Clock.

Post by laserengraver »

I have decided to build my first Clock. Instead of having a digital readout I am going to have a more traditional look.....at least on the Face of the Clock, around it will be a Mix of influences from Gabriel Schama Artwork to my fascination with Steam Punk. I am going to break the clock down into 3 or 4 parts, to show, Hour, Minute, Day of the Week and Day of the Month. All with separate faces. I am going looking at using this: Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit - v2.3 to control each of the motors. This is new territory for me. I have not used Micro-controllers before, but the Arduino was recommended by a couple of people who's opinions I respect. The above mentioned kit looks like it will do what I want....Just need to figure out which motors will work the best for my needs. Open to opinions on this...and Don't bash the new guy to hard :).......Thanks in advance.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Going to build my first Clock.

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Arduino and motor shield are a good place to start. For moving hands in a controlled fashion, you can either use steppers, or DC gearmotors with encoders for feedback. Steppers are probably the simpler approach.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mot ... -of-motors

Each shield can handle 2 steppers. And they can be stacked to control as many as 64. It is not easy to find motors with step-counts that are even multiples of 60, so you will probably need to do a bit of interpolation to determine the closest step for each position.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”