Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Monochron + Huzzah?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Monochron + Huzzah?

by ethosophical on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:26 pm

Hey all,

I've decided to dive into this world by building myself a Monochron, and I'm excited about both the building and the potential to code new clocks. I'd like to work my way up to coding a clock that can draw in web data - Forecast.io information, RSS headlines, etc. - and I thought it might be possible to connect the Monochron controller with a Huzzah to bring the information together. However, I'm still a bit of a newbie, so I'm not sure whether this is possible and, if so, the best way to get it done.

Anybody ever try something like this? How did you go about it?

ethosophical

Re: Monochron + Huzzah?

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Sounds way complicated to do it that way. If you know enough about programming to modify the monochron code to do that, you'd probably be better off just porting the monochron code to the ESP8266.

adafruit_support_rick

by ethosophical on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks Rick. I was considering that option too, but wondering how well the ESP8266 would work with the other elements of the kit. Could I build the kit following the directions with the monochron processor, then eventually remove the processor and wire in the ESP in its place?

ethosophical

by ethosophical on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:44 pm

For example, I found this documentation for how one project connected the ATMega with the ESP:

https://github.com/cburgess129/atmega32 ... HT_ESP8266

If I made the same connections between the ESP and an empty IC socket, does that sound like something that would let me easily incorporate the ESP into the rest of the Monochron components?

(Thanks!)

ethosophical

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:28 pm

That won't work with an empty socket. It's establishing a communications protocol between the ATMega and the ESP8266.

You might be able to adapt it to the monochron. I don't know.

Might be simpler just to use I2C between the two.

adafruit_support_rick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.