Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Adding FM radio to Monochron clock?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adding FM radio to Monochron clock?

by GirchyGirchy on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:24 am

Hi,

The other day I was looking at my ugly GE clock radio and wished I had something a little nicer to sit on the bedside table. I'd looked at the Monochron clocks before but passed because I didn't have much desire to dig further into the Arduino side of things...I just liked clock kits.

I took another look and it's currently on sale at MakerShed, and I found a little Si4703 FM radio board on Sparkfun:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11083

Being a complete noob at Arduino stuff, is it possible to integrate the Si4703 hardware into the Monochron clock, and create a program to use it on the software level? I'd love to have some buttons to call up the presets, select whether to wake to alarm or radio, etc...basically perform as a normal clock radio. I wasn't sure if how easy it would be to do this using the Monochron, or if it's limited in its ability to add new hardware and I should start from scratch with a more capable Arduino board.

Thanks for any help!

GirchyGirchy

Re: Adding FM radio to Monochron clock?

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:37 am

It should be possible to do. You would also need a small amplifier and some speakers.
https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=class+d&b=1

That tuner has an i2c interface so it should be able to share the i2c bus with the DS1307 RTC module on the Monochron.

As projects go, this would probably be in the 'intermediate' category. In addition to the program and electronics hacking, you will also need to modify or fabricate a case for the clock/radio combination.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.