Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is part of the Stop Hate for Profit campaign. Adafruit is open and shipping.

Monochron Kit LCD display appears very dim
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Monochron Kit LCD display appears very dim

by Kalikovision on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Hello, I have been putting together a monochron kit with the LCD display (LED backlit) and have one final problem with it that I just cannot seem to get past. At first the alarm wouldn't stop going off, then the display wouldn't show up at all, but now the display just appears really dim consistently. I have it set to 16 brightness (and it does change when moving from 0-16. So I know I have the resistor set up).

On 16, the display seems like everyone elses 0 setting (just based on pictures. I will attach photographs of the 16 settings and solder points. My assumption is that I may have soldered something incorrectly somewhere. I went through and touched up the solder points and tried to make sure there connections were decent. But to no avail (this worked earlier to fix the alarm going off and display not showing up to begin with).

Thanks!
Dan

Kalikovision

Re: Monochron Kit LCD display appears very dim

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:27 am

The color bands on R2' don't look right. It looks like you have a brown-black-orange (10K ohm). But it should be brown-black-brown (100 ohm). That resistor is part of the backlight control circuit.

adafruit_support_bill

by Kalikovision on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Ah, very good catch. I actually do not see that resistor you mention. I appear to have gotten the other one instead. I'll have to find one eventually and just use the R2 (not prime) instead for now. I'll try it as soon as I get a chance.

Will update when I do.

Kalikovision

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:09 am

If the 100 ohm resistor is missing from your kit, please contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread & we can get one out to you.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.