Defective Hot Air Soldering Rework Station (Quick 957D

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vector29

Defective Hot Air Soldering Rework Station (Quick 957D

Post by vector29 »

EDIT: Corrected typo on model number from 975D to 957D, and to mention that I tested while the wand was out of the holder. - Ed K.

Dear Adafruit,
I purchased a product from Adafruit's web site last month (June 23, order # 1139337-8152914757) and I am sorry to report that it appears to be defective.

The product in question is the Hot Air Soldering Rework Station w/ Three Nozzles - Quick 957D, Adafruit Product ID: 1869.

I powered it up yesterday for the first time and after about 2 minutes of use, the air pump in the 957D stopped blowing air in the middle of my solder rework task. The lack of airflow seems to have caused the heating element in the tip of the 957D's wand to immediately overheat. There was smoke streaming out of the tip, along with the smell of burning insulator. I turned the 957D off and let it cool down for 10 minutes. I unplugged and then plugged the unit back into the wall socket and powered it up. The unit comes on (temperature display above the right knob lights up), but still no airflow at all, regardless of the position of the air flow knob (left knob). the wand was not in its cradle on the side of the 957D during this test as the airflow normally does not start until the wand is lifted off of its cradle.

I did not snap a photo at the time of the failure, too busy trying to keep the 957D from catching on fire. :)
But there is a photo posted by another forum user here that shows the same thing I experienced with respect to smoke coming from the tip.

The tip was at 400C when the airflow stopped so I am pretty sure the heater element is toast now, on top of whatever is causing the airpump failure.

As the unit was purchased only one month ago, I would like to return the defective unit for a replacement. Please let me know the next steps for replacing the unit.

--thank you,
Ed K.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Defective Hot Air Soldering Rework Station (Quick 957D

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number. The folks there will get you another hot air station.

(#1869)

vector29

Re: Defective Hot Air Soldering Rework Station (Quick 957D

Post by vector29 »

Thanks Mike. Will do that in the morning.
--Ed K.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”