Where to buy the Adafruit used SMD micro USB connector
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Where to buy the Adafruit used SMD micro USB connector

by darkphotons on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:01 am

HI,
I'm trying to find a suitable SMD micro USB connector for my projects but I can never find the matching Eagle library.
I really like the Adafruit USB connector as it uses through-hole pins for strength, as used on i.e. The Circuit Playground etc. and I can use it's Eagle file, but where can I buy that particular USB connector?
I've looked on Mouser, Digi-key and Ali-Express and there are so many to choose from but non of them offer any Eagle libraries.

I'm also looking for were to buy the SMD switch as used on The Circuit Playground (the bigger ones, not the small reset button).

Any help would be appreciated.

darkphotons

Re: Where to buy the Adafruit used SMD micro USB connector

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:35 am

I'm afraid our part references wouldn't do you much good. We buy from manufacturers who sell in minimum units of a few thousand, and who quote lead times in weeks or months.

I'm sure you can find connectors with the features you want at Digikey though.. they carry a good stock of mechanicals. You'll probably need to create your own Eagle part for the connector you choose though.

adafruit_support_mike

by mwithings on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:15 am

Have you tried checking SnapEDA? It's a search engine for Eagle libraries.

Here are a couple micro USBs on their site with models:

https://www.snapeda.com/parts/10103594- ... view-part/
https://www.snapeda.com/parts/ZX62D-B-5 ... view-part/

mwithings

by darkphotons on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:37 am

Thanks for the quick reply Mike,
Yeah I know that Digikey has lots of connectors but Idea is to find a USB connector WITH the matching Eagle library to save me time and money (re-designing and re-ordering PCB’s)

Digikey actually sells an Adafruit micro breakout board so at least theoretically Adafruit could sell that un-assembled? I’d buy a few dozen right there. From a maker community point of view it would be nice if Adafruit would stock those excellent USB connectors and SMD switches, you have no idea how hard it is to find decent ones.

Thank for the tip mwithings! I wasn’t aware of this site, I’ll have a good look, although it still poses the same problem but only the other way around, finding the matching product.

darkphotons

by mwithings on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 pm

darkphotons wrote:I’ll have a good look, although it still poses the same problem but only the other way around, finding the matching product.

If you click the buy button, you can get back to the relevant product on Digi-Key for the micro USB shown.

mwithings

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.