Micro USB cables no good
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Micro USB cables no good

by ianbburns on Mon May 15, 2017 12:26 pm

I recently purchased 10 micro usb cables, 3ft product ID 592 , my order #1438597-5887225505

When I connected an arduino lily pad with these cords it will not download programs or communicate, if I switch out for my old micro USB cable it works immediately. I would say these cords are power cords only and no good for data, can I return please and preferably exchange for something that works

ianbburns

Re: Micro USB cables no good

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 pm

They should work. Are all 10 of them non-functional?

adafruit_support_carter

by ianbburns on Mon May 15, 2017 4:19 pm

I will double check them all and get back to you

ianbburns

by ianbburns on Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 am

ok, did a bit more testing and here is the update. with a brand new out of the packet lilypad, it seems the cables don't work -

if i use my old reliable usb it will download a program to the lilypad immediately.

however, once i have done this the usb cables i got from adafruit will communicate with the lilypad.

curious...

But - i only have a couple of brand new lilypads here so did not get through all, only 2 more. i can do so this weekend.

so i guess i am ok with these ones but maybe wont be buying them again.. (i have bought them in the past and everything worked just fine...)

ianbburns

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue May 16, 2017 11:23 am

They're solid cables and what we use in everything. That was the hope in providing these, as other USB cable quality is all over the map and can be a confounding issue when trying to trouble shoot. While there's still a chance that one of these cables could have something like a manufacturing issue, for it to happen to 10 of 10 is very unexpected.

The test with the lilypad is odd. It sounds more like something going on in software.

adafruit_support_carter

by ianbburns on Tue May 16, 2017 12:06 pm

At first I thought it was software and explored this direction to no avail, but changing cords did the trick. still the action of unplugging a USB and plugging another in that somehow leads to the computer finding the lily pad so That still points to software. Thanks for your prompt attention.

I agree the quality of these cords is all over the map, I started retesting with the one that did not work before and it worked.

Admittedly communication with lily pads has its quirks as well.. untill I run through a quantity of brand new lily pads can't say that I have a consistent problem but I will update if it does continue the same pattern ..

ianbburns

by DSF21 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:57 am

10 cables all do not work, it is inconceivable.
If you are buying online, you should ask the cable you need to buy can not meet the requirements you want to achieve.
If not, then it is not what you need.
To buy components or pcb online, I will consider and ask almost condition before order.

DSF21

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.