Micro USB cables no good
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Micro USB cables no good

by ianbburns on Mon May 15, 2017 12:26 pm

I recently purchased 10 micro usb cables, 3ft product ID 592 , my order #1438597-5887225505

When I connected an arduino lily pad with these cords it will not download programs or communicate, if I switch out for my old micro USB cable it works immediately. I would say these cords are power cords only and no good for data, can I return please and preferably exchange for something that works

ianbburns

Re: Micro USB cables no good

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 pm

They should work. Are all 10 of them non-functional?

adafruit_support_carter

by ianbburns on Mon May 15, 2017 4:19 pm

I will double check them all and get back to you

ianbburns

by ianbburns on Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 am

ok, did a bit more testing and here is the update. with a brand new out of the packet lilypad, it seems the cables don't work -

if i use my old reliable usb it will download a program to the lilypad immediately.

however, once i have done this the usb cables i got from adafruit will communicate with the lilypad.

curious...

But - i only have a couple of brand new lilypads here so did not get through all, only 2 more. i can do so this weekend.

so i guess i am ok with these ones but maybe wont be buying them again.. (i have bought them in the past and everything worked just fine...)

ianbburns

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue May 16, 2017 11:23 am

They're solid cables and what we use in everything. That was the hope in providing these, as other USB cable quality is all over the map and can be a confounding issue when trying to trouble shoot. While there's still a chance that one of these cables could have something like a manufacturing issue, for it to happen to 10 of 10 is very unexpected.

The test with the lilypad is odd. It sounds more like something going on in software.

adafruit_support_carter

by ianbburns on Tue May 16, 2017 12:06 pm

At first I thought it was software and explored this direction to no avail, but changing cords did the trick. still the action of unplugging a USB and plugging another in that somehow leads to the computer finding the lily pad so That still points to software. Thanks for your prompt attention.

I agree the quality of these cords is all over the map, I started retesting with the one that did not work before and it worked.

Admittedly communication with lily pads has its quirks as well.. untill I run through a quantity of brand new lily pads can't say that I have a consistent problem but I will update if it does continue the same pattern ..

ianbburns

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.