Dotstar micro 2020 project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Dotstar micro 2020 project

by zoilo on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:05 am

Hi,

I am working on a project where I need a ring of 42mm external diameter and 31 inside diameter with 40 dotstar micro led.
I have designed my pcb, ordered through a professional and hand soldered because I don't have a smd oven nor time...
Now that the prototype "work" I need a more reliable product, a small series of 4 rings in total.

Because these small leds are very sensitive to : moisture, temperature, electrostatic, pressure and a lot of other stuff... I wandered if you can recommand me a company that do the pcb + assembly and know how to respect the dotstar micro characteristics given on the very very complete datasheet...
I already had to work with a company to do custom board ws2812b matrix and I had a lot of issues... (first batch half the leds was burnt, second batch half of them wasn't soldered...)
So I try to found a better solution

Thank you

zoilo

Re: Dotstar micro 2020 project

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 pm

I get PCBs from Advanced Circuits, and have always had good luck with them:

http://4pcb.com/

They also have an assembly service, but I haven't haven't used that for anything related to DotStars or small, temperature-sensitive packages. You can talk to them and see if that's within their capacity though.

adafruit_support_mike

by zoilo on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:56 am

Thank you Mike,

I was hoping to have a contact of your manufacturer for the dotstar matrix like these https://www.adafruit.com/product/3444

I try with 4pcb.

zoilo

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 am

We don't do any custom design or fabrication. Our fab and QA teams are already busy enough trying to keep up with the stuff we make ourselves. ;-)

adafruit_support_mike

by DSF21 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:05 am

zoilo wrote:Because these small leds are very sensitive to : moisture, temperature, electrostatic, pressure and a lot of other stuff... I wandered if you can recommand me a company that do the pcb + assembly
and know how to respect the dotstar micro characteristics given on the very very complete datasheet...

I do not quite understand what you mean by this sentence? "And how to respect the dotstar micro Portug given on the very very complete datasheet ..."
There are a lot of PCB manufacturers have production and assembly services it Just looks at what is the ability. For example: AllPCB, PCBway, 4pcb, WellPCB
I used WellPCB, PCB prototype and assembly, you can consult them.

DSF21

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.