No way to mount joystick 3102

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
patben

No way to mount joystick 3102

Post by patben »

I purchased a Mini Analog Joystick - 10K Potentiometer [ID:3102] on 9/15/17. Yesterday I was trying to mount it into a small box for use with my machine but because of the rubber dust protector there doesn’t seem to be any way of mounting this unit in anything I’ve tried. If the dust cover can’t be removed and the joystick can’t be unscrewed, how the heck do you mount the thing??? I need it to be installed in a small case for use as a hand control.

Do you have standard mounting items for this joystick? If not, I’d like to return it for something that can be case-mounted. Please let me know ASAP, as this is for a customer system that is now time-critical.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: No way to mount joystick 3102

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Here's an example of how it was mounted in one of our projects:
https://learn.adafruit.com/arcade-bonne ... ly#step-10

Does that help?

patben

Post by patben »

Possibly. I'm ordering a few cases to see if anything will work. If not I guess I'll return this item. Thanks for your response!

adafruit_support_carter

There's also a cutout diagram in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=120347

patben

Post by patben »

Okay, I'm still trying to mount this thing but waiting for a sample box. In the meantime, there's no diagram to indicate what each terminal on the pots is. In other words, which is the 0k, the 5k, etc.?? How am I supposed to wire this without know which terminal is for what? Your lack of documentation on your products is really staggering...

adafruit_support_carter

The two outer connectors are the entire resistor, the center connector is the sweep. Typical usage is to wire these up as a variable voltage divider. One of the outer pins goes to VCC, the other goes to GND. The center pin will then have a variable voltage, somewhere between VCC and GND, that changes with stick position.

Here's an example connection:
https://learn.adafruit.com/arcade-bonne ... it-diagram

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”