Modded toaster ovens and rework stations

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ChrisNYC

Modded toaster ovens and rework stations

Post by ChrisNYC »

Hi all-

I've been out of the home lab pcb fab and build scene for about 10 years now. I used to use laser film and etch and drill my boards which worked pretty well for small runs.

I want to start working with SMDs and need recommendations for good values in hot air rework stations and if anyone has had any success modding toaster ovens with PID controllers for soldering. I've found a bunch of info on the net, but I'm not sure what the best solution would be to solder low quantities of boards at a hobbiest level. Thanks!

freaklabs

Re: Modded toaster ovens and rework stations

Post by freaklabs »

I personally like the Hakko 852 but I don't think its made anymore. Also, Hakko equipment is kind of expensive so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're doing this stuff for a living. I've heard some good things about the Aoyue 800 series of hot air rework tools. They are Chinese Hakko clones but they seem to work and I know of a few people in the open HW community using them. The 850 or similar model is probably worth checking out.

scott_d

Post by scott_d »

We have been doing well with a simple hotplate system, originally developed by my friend, Doctek, who wrote an Instructable about his system: (http://www.instructables.com/id/Extreme ... Soldering/). Based on his work, I developed a closed loop temperature control system for the hotplate (http://www.instructables.com/id/Closing ... Soldering/. One of the novel aspects of this system is the re-purposing of a Harbor Freight infrared thermometer as a non-contact temperature sensor for the hotplate surface. I designed a PCB for this system, based on a simple Arduino compatible with an LCD display. Thus far, over 20 copies of this board have been distributed to members of the local electronics and robotics hobby groups. While the IR sensor has been very successful for us with the hotplate, I designed the board with a thermocouple interface as well, with an eye towards using that for a toaster oven based system. We haven't tried that yet, although others are building the board to use the thermocouple for things like BANNED composting process control.
You can find the Eagle files and all the code on my blog: http://dorkbotpdx.org/blog/scott_d/temp ... nal_design
Last edited by scott_d on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thanks for posting w/those links, scott :)

scott_d

Post by scott_d »

You're welcome, Limor. I wouldn't have been able to get this project working so quickly without being able to build on other open source work so I hope someone finds our project useful.
I would also add that having even a fairly simple surface mount soldering system and access to professionally manufactured PC boards (solder masks really help) has changed the sorts of projects we are attempting. We have done a number of workshops and have seen people go from skeptical about using such small parts to enthusiastic and maybe even preferring surface mount to through hole.

ChrisNYC

Post by ChrisNYC »

Yes, thanks Scott. Your post is quite helpful.

alex_dubinsky

Post by alex_dubinsky »

That's really cool, but I have to say that a $40 Wagner HT400 heat gun works rather well for reflow soldering/reworking.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”