Convection toaster oven - best one?

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alex_dubinsky

Convection toaster oven - best one?

Post by alex_dubinsky »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that all I really need for a decent reflow oven is a toaster oven with a very nice convection fan. The reason for this is that I have a full-range convection oven at home with a 10" internal fan, and it does a very good job of even heating (whether it be PCBs or turkeys). Now, I don't want to use it for leaded reflow, and I don't want to buy a second gas oven either. Unfortunately, the "convection" toaster ovens I've looked at seem to have pretty pathetic fans. I bought one oven, and it does a horrible job at even heating. I haven't researched these in too much depth yet, but I suspect there must be some high-end models that do have powerful fans. Is anyone aware of one? If not, I suppose I'll be back in a while to report on my search.

P.S. I may add a temperature controller in the future (should not be too hard), but may I ask what is the real point of temperature profiles? Are they really more than "nice to have" features for large-scale soldering? Or rather, an optimization for doing soldering very quickly with a higher-than-necessary temp (again for production)? What will happen if I dial in the right not-too-high temp (assuming for the moment that the temp will be maintained) and just let the PCB cook a few minutes longer?

adafruit

Re: Convection toaster oven - best one?

Post by adafruit »

we like hotplates more - they take longer to cool but the heating is even. see the QK870 - its $400 tho

alex_dubinsky

Post by alex_dubinsky »

Actually there's few other things I want to evenly heat beside PCBs.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Search for "commercial convection oven". Some of the smaller commercial units might do the job - but they aren't cheap!

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/cadco ... -oven.html

alex_dubinsky

Post by alex_dubinsky »

Hey... that's an awesome suggestion. Ebay has tons of these. Check out the fan on this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WARING-1-4-SIZE ... 2614wt_913 It's got 1700 watts of power (for fast warmup) and goes up to 500 F. The last question is how good the temperature regulation is.

adshea

Post by adshea »

If you get something and the temperature regulation doesn't work as well as you'd like you can always hook up a process controller (Omega and others) or make a PID temperature controller yourself. I've gotten a 20USD toaster oven to hold within a +-5C band of a reflow profile using a off-the-shelf process controller and adding a small fan.

mikeselectricstuff

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

adafruit wrote:we like hotplates more - they take longer to cool but the heating is even. see the QK870 - its $400 tho
Anyone tried something like this burger-griddle - looks tempting as I need to toast some quite large PCBs soon...
I Emailed them and they claim it goes to 300 deg.C
Should be plenty of room inside to add temperature controls etc., maybe add a fan to cool more quickly
. or maybe put PCBs on aluminium foil to allow them to be lifted off for quicker cooling?

and maybe add a pyrex sheet over the top to keep some heat in..?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

what you'll want to check for is even heating - the 870 has 4 heaters about 3" apart which makes for very even temperatures!

mikeselectricstuff

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

How thick is the heating plate on the 870?
I'm guessing that griddle has an element like this.
I was also considering just getting one of those elements and fixing it to an aluminiium plate.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”