Air Compressor for 7722FV

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ktownsend

Air Compressor for 7722FV

Post by ktownsend »

I should have the new pick and place next week, and wanted to get the same PC106 used by Adafruit since noise is the most important consideration for me, but I've had a hard time sourcing one in France. I can get them in the UK, but as a temporary measure I was wondering if something like this would work:

http://www.aircompressors.co.uk/Product ... n_Oil_Free

It seems to be within specs, but is 6L enough? The PC106 is only 6 as well, but I'm not sure if that's enough for regular use or not. I'd prefer the smaller 6L model, but the 20L being vertical is still doable and the price difference is trivial. It's just that I prefer the smaller package, but not if it's not going to be very usable.

blogger

Re: Air Compressor for 7722FV

Post by blogger »

From manufacturer,
The machine needs approx 80 psi (0.5 mPA) pressure with 60 litre per minute (2.2cfm) flow
I've got a 1hp/0.8mPA/60L tank compressor that seems to work.
Not sure about that 6L tank, that seems to be a bit low. I know the other guy with 7722 has same compressor as me.

edit: if that PC106 is what blogfruit claims to use, I guess the one you linked will work too.
What you really do want is dry air, so maybe look into some separate dryer attachment.

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

I ordered th 20L tank. I'll see how it works out. The pick and place will be delivered here tommorow and I'll have the compressor on Friday. Seems to be well within specs, though:

Free Air Delivery: 99 L/min
Displacement: 156 L/min
Max Pressure: 116 psi (8 bar)

That should be able to keep a steady flow of air. I just hope the noise isn't unbearable: 71 dba @ 4m. It's only 200€ and at worst it will hold me over until I can get a device that generates less noise.

sirket

Post by sirket »

ktownsend wrote:That should be able to keep a steady flow of air. I just hope the noise isn't unbearable: 71 dba @ 4m. It's only 200€ and at worst it will hold me over until I can get a device that generates less noise.
I'm not sure about this specific compressor but most of the noise generated by compressors actually comes from the air intake, not the machinery or vibrations. You can make your own muffler if you are handy.

Search for "air compressor muffle" on Google.

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

I ordered the 20L version but it still hasn't arrived and out of impatience I bought the 6L at a local hardware store. It works fine with the 7722FV, though there is a lot of vibration. I have it in a closet with a cushion underneath and can still feel the floor vibrate about 10m away. The noise isn't unbearable, but the vibration is a bit more than I expected. It wouldn't bother me if I was alone, but in an apartment I'm worried about the poor guy underneath me. The 6L version needs to refill every 30-40 seconds or so, and it takes maybe 10 seconds to refill. I think I'll return the 6L version and keep the 20L when it gets here simply because of that, though one advantage of the 6L model is its relatively modest size.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a very quiet working environment, but if you're in a house with no neighbours sharing a wall this compressor should be a reasonably option if the budget is tight. At least in Europe, it's easy to find and inexpensive. (The 20L was a bit more work to locate than the 6L.)

I'll probably move to the compact 106 or a similar model in the next couple months for noise reduction, but the Michelin model is at least an affordable stop-gap measure until then if anyone else if looking for a small, low-cost compressor with enough air pressure for the 7722, etc.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”