PCB Suggestions from an old fossil

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Repairtech

PCB Suggestions from an old fossil

Post by Repairtech »

After reading through this forum I would like to respectfully submit a few suggestions that might make fabricating your own PCBs a bit easier. Always keep things as simple as possible. I don’t suggest all of these items will be appropriate for you but it is just a starting place. First I find no lead content solder harder to use in some cases, so only use it if it is absolutely (I have used leaded solder for nearly 60years and I am not dead yet).
I make most of my own PCBs using laser printer, a laminator and etch them with a mixture of hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide for enchant. Make sure you use gloves and about a 1” x1” square sponge soaked in etchant, dragging your sponge across the board gently to remove board smut from the board. With a bit of practice you can have 10mil wide traces with a 10 mil spacing and etch a small 3 x2 inch board in less than 2 min per side. I also use home made electro less tin plating. I make the tin plating solution using two pieces of “modern pewter” which is usually between 92 & 97 % tin. Connect 3v to the each piece of pewter an put into wide mouth glass jar filled with distilled water and a tablespoon of table salt and when water turns reasonably dark green you are ready to put your pcb in. I am old school I use 63/37 tin lead solder and Kester 1544 flux. After board is cleaned with 91% grain alcohol (also good to drink sometimes too) I test the board is working correctly then give it a couple coats is spray shellac. I do this because many of my projects are used outside. Oh. If components and board lands are not bright and shiny I use a pencil eraser or if it’s really bad some scotchbright to clean them but easy does it you don’t want to remove the tin plating.

Hope this has helped someone

Leo

dastels

Re: PCB Suggestions from an old fossil

Post by dastels »

That brings back memories. I was doing this back when I got started in the '80. These days it's as fast and a lot easier, cleaner, and pretty much error-proof to order your boards from OshPark or Aisler, etc. Plus you can get multilayer with plated holes/vias. I remember the arduousness of making double sided boards by hand. SO I guess they weren't all good memories :)

Dave

jps2000

Post by jps2000 »

Of course ordering boards is nowadays quite easy and cheap. In particular if you need double sided boards.
But small single sided smd boards I still make as described above. It takes just an afternoon to try out something. Many circuits can be made single sided with just a groundplane.
The use of green coating flux sprays gives a semiprofessional appearance.

dastels

Post by dastels »

I see desktop milling being used with good success for making single sided boards. Neither milling nor etching are very apartment-friendly, however.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”